five gallon hex what to put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoseRZ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay I have a five gallon hex tank eclipse. With flourite substance, plants (Java Fern , Moneywort) driftwood and a rock. and a heater. changed the reflector for the light. using compact florecent light.

Any sugestions on what to put in the tank?

I know one male betta would be okay but could have the tank with two female bettas. Their is a lot written about the males but little about the females. Any sugesttions on type of fish would do good in this small enviroment?

5 gallons is hard. From what I have read about females, they can be feisty themselves but hopefully someone will post about keeping them together. I think in such a small tank it might be difficult. I am currently keeping Endler's livebearers in a 5 gal planted tank, along with some cherry shrimp.

I have 2 female bettas in my 12 gallon hex (soon going to be moved into a 50)... and one continuously goes after the other. I wouldn't recommend putting 2 females into a tank that size. Either 1 male or 1 female would be fine... and maybe another small fish which does not need a school. You may want to consider just stopping w/ 1 betta and seeing how that goes for a while before getting any more fish. But that's my opinion.

YOu may be able to squeeze in an otto or something small as well for the bottom. I'm partial to cory cats, but they like to be in groups, and in that size of a tank, it's prolly not a good idea.

Otos really like to be in groups themselves, but you could certainly try one - they are small enough. A single betta and some cool shrimp might work. Maybe a killie?

If you do get a killi make sure it's not one of the one's w/ the long flowing fins. Otto's do prefer groups as well. BUt I know quite a few ppl w/ just one and it seems happy enough. But it's totally up to you. It prolly just depends on that particular fish.

bunebop said:
Either 1 male or 1 female would be fine... and maybe another small fish which does not need a school.

Nope. Males normally only coexist for sexing/mating season and then they stop being 'friendly'. I wouldn't recommend that. Also, another fish might not be a good choice with a betta. Bettas have extremely fragile fins, and the tank is only five gallons.

bunebop said:
You may want to consider just stopping w/ 1 betta and seeing how that goes for a while before getting any more fish. But that's my opinion.

I would stop with one betta. Maybe you could put guppies in a tank. They get along better than bettas. You might be able to do two or three fantail guppies, and different color tails would probably look spectacular.

I had that same tank in my dorm room. I had a male betta and a two corys, they did great in it, until I dropped something off a shelf and *crack* split the tank right down the side. One emergency trip to petsmart and they're doing better than ever in their new 10 gallon home. :D

duaumun said:
Nope. Males normally only coexist for sexing/mating season and then they stop being 'friendly'. I wouldn't recommend that. Also, another fish might not be a good choice with a betta. Bettas have extremely fragile fins, and the tank is only five gallons.

That is why I said either a male OR a female. I did not say to put in both :) My betta has gotten along perfectly w/ other fish as long as they are peaceful, don't have long flowing-fins, and are not fin-nippers. I do agree that it is a very small tank. But I said if she really really wanted something else to get a small fish which does not need to be in a group.

Ghost shrimp are good cheap entertainment for a 5g to go along with a betta.

I also like the one male betta idea.
They are such beautiful fish.
What ever you decide good luck and hope you enjoy it.
:D

Well I got a one female instated of a male. She is a blue green color. I got her at a Petco. She was in a about ten or more gallon tank with about eight other females. Their were two bright red females picking on the others. She was looking sad hiding in the corner behind a fake plant. Her fins had been torn and ripped. She has done real well recovering . Her fins are growing back and her color is showing nicly. Besides one incident of her swimming upstream in to the filter outlet she has done real well. I feel sorry that she dose not have a lot of swiming room. I was able to get a eclipse1 hood cheap at a yard sell. I will move her to a 10 or 15 high in about a month.

Haha!! I always save the "sad" looking fish too! I dont care if they have bad stuff on them...thats what a QT is for! I got into a real bad obsessive compulsive thing here lately...I started buying tons of Walmart Betta (in the crappy little cups on the shelf) and I have several now in larger 1 gallon tanks that are looking great! I just hate to see a suffering fish. (Like I know how they feel or something...).

I was wondering, myself, if a female Betta would be good company for the single male Betta in my ten gallon tank. Granted there are also 9 very small tetras and a smaller Pleco(still bigger than the rest of the fish in the tank), but i was thinking of trading the Pleco in and giving him a better home.

I agree with Mojo Troll...Ghost shrimp are neat. I started a 1 gallon tank with a few of those once. They are very fascinating creatures. One of mine was pregnant and laid eggs all over the place!! Unfortunately, I didnt have the ideal surroundings to raise the fry at the time, so they perished. But I'm ready now...I just gotta get some more! Read up on them...they are great for a small tank and the kids love them!

I was wondering, myself, if a female Betta would be good company for the single male Betta in my ten gallon tank.
Speaking from experience, my female betta ripped my male into shreds. He lived in the bachelor's pad after that and she lived in the 29 gal community tank. Usually, you don't pair them up, unless the bubble nest is ready and breeding is what you are after :wink:

Exactly, like Menagerie said, and even after the spawning you have to again separate them. They do not do well together long-term, unlike many fish. It is a shame, because it would be nice to be able to keep a pair of them, like you can do with a lot of cichlids.

Well I got some ghost shrimp to go with the betta. At first I was kind of scare that she would eat the shrimp. For a few moments I thought she was gone to attack them and eat them. The way she would look directly at them. The shrimp looking right back at her. Reminded me a little of the scene in jurassic park. http://www.ibiblio.org/samneill/pictures/jp/trex1.jpg The waiting will she attack, will the shrimp run. Then she takes a snaps at the shrimp nearly bitting it then just swim away. This went on for about an hour. She now dose'nt even pay attention to them now. I also added coconut halves to make some hideing places for the shrimp and betta.

Back
Top Bottom