Flake food recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is my tank setup

5 checkered barbs
2 zebra danios
1 julieochromis
1 common Pleco

What would be the optimum flake food to feed as a staple to my danios and barbs?
I am currently using the basic tetramin tropical flakes

i use aqueon and like it alot i believe both of those fish are omnivores, so aqueon makes a good sprinulea flake (type of algae) and tropical so they will have a balanced diet. the occasional pinch of blood worms is also helpful. i also like to give mine a cooked pea with the skin removed to aid in digestion since it is a natural laxative for them.

i keep hearing good things about omega one, i wonder if they make a sprinulea flake, will need to look this up and possibly switch over

The mention of an omnivorous flake grabbed my attention

The barbs and julieochromis are omnivores

So aqueon makes a good omnivore flake?

Would you consider that the best?

well they are omnivores, ive never heard of an omnivore flake, thats why i feed my fish both tropical and spirulina flake to balance it out (on different days of course)

i myself am making the switch to omega one though, ive heard too many good things to pass it up

Wow -- keep hearing about these Omega One flakes...

Are these good for goldfish as well (their goldfish formula of course) and would they be better than, say, Tetra, Aqueon or even New Life Spectrum's foods?

Wow -- keep hearing about these Omega One flakes...

Are these good for goldfish as well (their goldfish formula of course) and would they be better than, say, Tetra, Aqueon or even New Life Spectrum's foods?

I'd say better than aqueon or tetra but about the same as new life spectrum. NLS and omega one are both quality foods, kind of the top tier of fish foods. I would generally recommend them over other brands regardless of the type of fish.

I'd say better than aqueon or tetra but about the same as new life spectrum. NLS and omega one are both quality foods, kind of the top tier of fish foods. I would generally recommend them over other brands regardless of the type of fish.

Thanks, Alyxx! I will definitely take this into consideration as my goldies are getting low on their supply of NutraFin flakes...

What is it about the Aqueon or Tetra flakes that are just not as "good" as these other two brands? Do they not contain enough vegetable/algae matter for the goldies? When you pour the Tetra flakes in, in particular, there are wildly various colors of flakes -- red, green, etc.; is this not a more well-rounded diet of sorts based on the color mix?

Just read the ingredients of the food. You don't want flour or filling as one of the first ingredient to appear. (Ingredients are listed as what is used most to what is used least)

Just read the ingredients of the food. You don't want flour or filling as one of the first ingredient to appear. (Ingredients are listed as what is used most to what is used least)

I'm not that knowledgeable, to be honest, on the differences between what's listed on these flakes' ingredient rosters, that's why I asked; are the Tetra and Aqueon flakes really that bad?

BTW -- what part of NYC you in?

I'm not that knowledgeable, to be honest, on the differences between what's listed on these flakes' ingredient rosters, that's why I asked; are the Tetra and Aqueon flakes really that bad?

Pm'ed you

Brooklyn but I am studying in the Bronx.

From what I have seen, tetra food starts with fillers which lacks the proper nutrition for a fish that wants to grow healthy and beautifully.

If you look at omega one or NLS, they start with fish meal.

Brooklyn but I am studying in the Bronx.

Very cool -- I'm originally from "Strong" (Long) Island, but my parents had a successful furniture business for many, many years in a few of the Brooklyn sectors like Canarsie and Flatbush...and I had family that lived (some still do) close to the Coney Island Hospital...

From what I have seen, tetra food starts with fillers which lacks the proper nutrition for a fish that wants to grow healthy and beautifully.

If you look at omega one or NLS, they start with fish meal.

Based on what you and Alyxx are telling me, I think I will begin looking at the OMEGA ONE GOLDFISH FLAKES and the NEW LIFE SPECTRUM "GENERAL FRESHWATER" FLAKES or GOLDFISH PELLETS...(y)

Ok so far I think I am hearing slot of good things about omega 1

Who makes a good spirulina/vegetable flake?

Just found out omega one does make a spirulina flake

Is it as good as the rest of their products?

Could I buy their tropical and spirulina flakes and then mix them together?

I use omega one flakes and a couple times a week I feed blood worms. Your barbs will go CRAZY!!

Back
Top Bottom