Flame moss advice please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any info on how to propagate, multiply, how to attach them on driftwood/rocks? I've been searching and I can't seem to find a good info about flame moss. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image-494098798.jpg
    image-494098798.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 262
  • image-630282978.jpg
    image-630282978.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 320
roydooms said:
Any info on how to propagate, multiply, how to attach them on driftwood/rocks? I've been searching and I can't seem to find a good info about flame moss. Thanks in advance!

Go to plantgeek.net for info. You might need ferts or c02, but IDK.

As for attaching, a hair net works great, you just wrap/tie it over rock/DW and moss. It'll grow right thru the loose weave, so no real need to ever remove.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Flame moss is relatively new to the hobby. You can tie it down like java moss and it'll attach.

Also flame moss has a tendancy to grow up rather than out. So when attatching it to somthing be sure to have it spread over the whole area. It grows substantialy slower than java moss so be patient.

Thank you guys.

@mr. Limpet- there is no info for flame moss at plantgeek.net. Like what BigJim said maybe because it's relatively new. They have info for the rest of the plants though. Thanks for the link(bookmarked) :D

Frognugget said:
Also flame moss has a tendancy to grow up rather than out. So when attatching it to somthing be sure to have it spread over the whole area. It grows substantialy slower than java moss so be patient.

They are expensive. I'm just planning to buy an 8x8 then when it grows I'll trim it and put it n a mesh or attach it to something else. My main goal is to make it as a ground cover.

roydooms said:
Thank you guys.

@mr. Limpet- there is no info for flame moss at plantgeek.net. Like what BigJim said maybe because it's relatively new. They have info for the rest of the plants though. Thanks for the link(bookmarked) :D

Yeah, I went there after I posted and didn't see it. But that's my go to guide when I see a plant I like and want to know more. I learned that most of petco's plants are non aquatic from PG.net.

roydooms said:
They are expensive. I'm just planning to buy an 8x8 then when it grows I'll trim it and put it n a mesh or attach it to something else. My main goal is to make it as a ground cover.

Let us know how it goes, because I want to do that too but most mosses grow long rather than spread out.

Mr. Limpet said:
Let us know how it goes, because I want to do that too but most mosses grow long rather than spread out.

I was told by the seller here in my area that grows flame moss that when it hits 2" that you can cut it in half then attach it wherever you want. Another mesh ideally. I'll let you know.

I bought an 8x8 flame moss on a mesh and java moss attached to rocks. I trimmed the java moss and put it n a mesh(2 small mesh). I hope it will grow so I can trim and use it as a ground cover. It will take some time but I hope it works.

Attachments

• image-1012049670.jpg
    image-1012049670.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 297
  • image-1332675457.jpg
    image-1332675457.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 232
I bought an 8x8 flame moss on a mesh and java moss attached to rocks. I trimmed the java moss and put it n a mesh(2 small mesh). I hope it will grow so I can trim and use it as a ground cover. It will take some time but I hope it works.

Cool! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Coleallensmom said:
Cool! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Me too!l. I'm so excited! Hope I'll soon have enough money for a CO2 system :D My plan is to cover the ground and driftwood with flame moss and the back glass with java moss.

roydooms said:
Me too!l. I'm so excited! Hope I'll soon have enough money for a CO2 system :D My plan is to cover the ground and driftwood with flame moss and the back glass with java moss.

Great idea! Can't wait to see it progress.

Time lapes photos please :D.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I've been curious about flame moss for a long time.

How much light are you using?

Mr. Limpet said:
Great idea! Can't wait to see it progress.

Time lapes photos please :D.

I'll take photos each week. I just hope the mosses grow fast so I can cover whatever I need to cover.

mudraker said:
I've been curious about flame moss for a long time.

How much light are you using?

2-6,700K and 2-10,000K. 65w each in a 125g. I just bought them today. I still don't know how well they will grow with my lighting.

roydooms said:
I'll take photos each week. I just hope the mosses grow fast so I can cover whatever I need to cover.

Do they make underwater lawn mowers? lol.

Yeah, it'd be great to see the progress.

Mr. Limpet said:
Do they make underwater lawn mowers? lol.

Yeah, it'd be great to see the progress.

Lol. It's going to be a lot of work maintaining it but I bet it'll be worth it :)

Back
Top Bottom