Flashing with no signs of disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dane

Aquarium Advice Regular
Some of my fish have been flashing but I cannot tell why. They look healthy there's no signs of ich velvet or flukes. They have been eating fine no sluggish activity. The ammonia was a little high but I got that sorted out. My fish have been flashing for a few weeks now not much but recently my rainbow shark has been doing it more. They seem healthy but I'm worried something is wrong maybe an internal parasite that I can't see. Any help would be great my wife says I'm just crazy but I don't think I am (yet).
The fish that I have seen flash are
Rainbow shark
African brown knife
Blood parrot
Gold gourami
And kissing gourami

Sent from my QMV7A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi Dane,
How frequently are they exhibiting this behavior? Can you tell us more about the tank? Parameters, etc. I've seen healthy fish flashing on and off in one of my tanks for over a year. Definitely keep an eye out for other odd behavior...I think there are internal parasites that can cause he issue but maybe someone with more experience can comment.

There are internal parastites/infections like Hexitima, BUT i think the common things that make fish scratch are Flukes and Fish Lice, just treat with some ich treatment add some salt and raise the temp to 86 for 24 hours and its very easy to get rid of. Now that Hexitima or hole in the head disease is definately a silent killer that i didn't even know about until recently. IF they start to look skinny or show up with turmor growths under their skin especaially towards the front it could be HOTH but, its probably just fish lice. If their gills are very red and they scratch alot then it could be flukes.

Your Tank

Hello Dane...

If fish are acting strangely, it's likely a problem with the tank water. Most, if not all tank problems are water related. Test the water if you have the means to do it or begin an aggressive water change routine. Water that stays in the tank too long will change dramatically and not for the good of the fish.

I change half the tank water in my tanks every week. Water that's removed and replaced regularly doesn't have time to change chemically, so the water chemistry stays constant. A much better environment for the fish and the plants.

If you believe you have a problem with parsites, then do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material. Most of the parasites will be living there.

B

Hello Dane...

If fish are acting strangely, it's likely a problem with the tank water. Most, if not all tank problems are water related. Test the water if you have the means to do it or begin an aggressive water change routine. Water that stays in the tank too long will change dramatically and not for the good of the fish.

I change half the tank water in my tanks every week. Water that's removed and replaced regularly doesn't have time to change chemically, so the water chemistry stays constant. A much better environment for the fish and the plants.

If you believe you have a problem with parsites, then do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material. Most of the parasites will be living there.

B

He said there was an issue with ammonia but he resolved it. That tells me the guy has a grasp of the concept of doing water changes.

Elevated levels of ammonia can irritate the gills and cause them to "scratch", but if it has continued after water changes then something else is up. I agree about treating with a something as a prophylactic measure at least.

Is there much fine particulate matter present in the water column?
I've seen tanks with fine silt floating around and it gets mucked up in the gills and causes the fish to flash as well. The same also happens during a free-floating bacterial or algae bloom.

Maybe add some type of "polishing pad" to your filtration set-up to filter super fine particles.

Last edited by a moderator:
this was first posted 3 weeks ago...im curious to hear any updates from the op. would also be curious to hear about how long the tank is running, tank size, water change schedule, all the basic stuff.

i dont think suggesting a water change is bad advice at all, especially when the op said he had shown ammonia. i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss that advice simply because the op said the ammonia was 'a little high but has resolved'. no such thing as ammonia being a little high. that is like saying someone is a little pregnant. any ammonia at all is too much and a sign of something going on, whether the tank is not yet cycled, or there is a mini cycle going on. i think more info is needed to advise. if there is even still a problem at all after 3 weeks.

Fish Problem

He said there was an issue with ammonia but he resolved it. That tells me the guy has a grasp of the concept of doing water changes.

Elevated levels of ammonia can irritate the gills and cause them to "scratch", but if it has continued after water changes then something else is up. I agree about treating with a something as a prophylactic measure at least.

Is there much fine particulate matter present in the water column?
I've seen tanks with fine silt floating around and it gets mucked up in the gills and causes the fish to flash as well. The same also happens during a free-floating bacterial or algae bloom.

Maybe add some type of "polishing pad" to your filtration set-up to filter super fine particles.

Hello PB...

Rather thought I did a nice job of answering the poster's concerns. Short and easy to understand. The aggressive water changes will deal with the ammonia and some of the parasites. I didn't read anything about the poster changing out a lot of water, though. The gravel vacuuming will remove a good percentage of the parasites, since they do live in the bottom material.

B

I'll venture a guess that 99.9% of the folks frequenting this forum know to do water changes. The amount and frequency is often hotly debated, but the need for doing them is not.

Thank you all for the responses, sorry it's been so long iv been preoccupied and haven't posted.
So there was a big problem with my tank we had 5 fish die on us kissing gourami, snakeskin gourami, opaline gourami, gold gourami, and our red tailed cat. After I posted the original post the glass thermometer broke in our tank, I believe out common plec hit it but I can't be sure. I was worried that the fish maybe ate the metal balls in the bottom of the thermometer or the broken glass so I changed out the substrate with new substrate, I also changed the filter cartridges and did a 50 percent water change. I move some of our fish to some tanks that were already running but I had to leave some in the tank, I just didn't have enough space to move them all, so the tank had to basically re-cycle. I added beneficial bacteria and did what I could to jump start the cycling. I have had the water tested every other day and the lat teats shows that the ammonia is a bit elevated but in the safe zone. The problem I'm favoring now is my african brown knife is still flashing but only him, but my angels don't seem interested in food but they do it a little and my needle nose gar will not eat, is breathing heavy and has clear stringy poop, I think I is internal parasites. I'm looking at getting metronidazole and treating the tank to see if that helps. Thank again for the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll venture a guess that 99.9% of the folks frequenting this forum know to do water changes. The amount and frequency is often hotly debated, but the need for doing them is not.

i'll venture a guess that you are wrong on this particular matter. a good deal of the people visiting this forum are totally new to the hobby.

to the op, i would suggest keeping up with water changes until you are showing zero for ammonia and nitrite. also, i would look into your stocking vs tank size and see if there is a problem there (i dont know your tank size but your stocking requires a large tank). i might also add some garlic/liquid from jar of chopped garlic to my normal fish food. i would also listen to the other fine members' advice on treating internal parasites.

I edited out all unnecessary and inflammatory remarks that have nothing to do with giving advice to the OP. Everyone has an opinion and are entitled to give it even if others don't agree with it.

Please read the community rules as it clearly states " Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully."

Last edited:
The tank is a 72 bow front, and would I just be garlic juice from Walmart or is it fish specific?

The tank is a 72 bow front, and would I just be garlic juice from Walmart or is it fish specific?

You could peel a clove of garlic and use a garlic press from fresh garlic, the juice/oil. There is a fish specific type of garlic oil, Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme for Marine or Freshwater Fish.

Thank you I think I'll use the garlic press

Just throwing this out there...a few of my fish will start flashing at the smallest ammonia spike, so don't discount that as a possible cause if there is even a small amount of ammonia present.

Just throwing this out there...a few of my fish will start flashing at the smallest ammonia spike, so don't discount that as a possible cause if there is even a small amount of ammonia present.

+1 - even at low ammonia levels I've noticed they can be off flashing. Also at feeding time or if fine matter in water (as posted) or filter wool.

I'm on my second round of metronidazole. The ammonia has gone down to almost nonexistent and I don't see any particles in the water. I haven't seen any flashing lately. Hopefully this medication will help everything and the tank gets better

Back
Top Bottom