Flat, cloudy ovals are on my fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I just introduced my new Raccoon Butterfly into my main tank. I noticed that he has blurry splotches on his body. They are very small. They are almost like thin ovals. They are not pure white, but a cloudy clear. He is acting perfectly normal. Any idea? I will try and get a pic, but I dont have a good camera and he is fast. Thanks!

Here is the pics. It is very bad, I know. If you can see, there is spots on his body. They are also over his eyes.
img_567893_0_f067c6ef3fa1b580a28808ca0203c4b6.jpg

That would be caused by poor water conditions. No real surprise under the circumstances. Water changes are your best bet, and lots of them. Of course, there is still the option of returning the fish, which from past experience, I know you won't bother.

I called about the Moorish dude. They wouldnt take it back! And I am trying to find the Idol a different home. And are you sure thats what it is? They look like there alive. And my other fish dont/have never had this... but I could return it if you think I should.

It looks like he is trying to shake them off, and he is trying to rub them off on the sand.

I don't see a parasite but the photo is too blurry to tell. The cloudy eye is a common symptom of degrading water quality. If they are parasites, the fish needs to be quarantined. Which is what you should do with all new fish anyway so your not contaminating your main tank. Treating your main tank for parasites will kill off any good bacteria you have in there and restart your cycle.

I npticed that when I was acclimating him, he kept coming to the surface and almost breathed in air? I think it is a paratie. What do I do!!! I dont have a QT tank set up. Can I put him in a bowl or something and temp. use it as a QT to keep him in?

No a bowl won't work. If he's breathing at the surface, it could be lack of oxygen in the tank. What is your tank temp? Really, my suggestion would be to take the fish back. If it's a parasite it needs to be treated with a copper based med that is gonna kill your biological filtration. My suggestion to you would be, return the tang, idol and butterfly. I've never seen a lfs who would not take a return. You may not get your money back on the idol but I can't believe they won't take him. Use your money to buy a small QT tank. Get it set up and cycled then buy one small fish. During this time, read, read, read. There's alot to be said for researching. Slow down and let your tank catch up.

I am with Cindy on this, your LFS should take them back, although I have run across some stubborn ones myself.. The QT tank is a must not really an option. If you are to keep the fish, even one of them alive, you are going to have to quarantine and treat with copper and or a melafix/antibiotic. Now this is speculation due to the blurry picture and description. By the des. it does not sound like ICH yet it could be advanced stages, but more like an infection/fungus. This is why the Melafix came to mind. In any case, please return the fish or quarantine and treat.

If the parasite has been released in the main tank which it has by now, you will have to do a major water change and leave the fish out of it for approx 8 weeks. I know this sounds like a long time, but it is very neccessary. I hope someone else can chime in here. Good luck

It is very hard to diagnose based on the pic, but I agree with Cindy. In a situation like this start with the easiest, less-invasive, procedures and move up from there. Poor water conditions and improper diet are the first two things to come to mind and the easiests things to correct. Please provide use with current water parameters and feeding product/schedule.

Did this fish look like this when you bought it at the LFS. It is glaringly obvious that you need to find a new LFS. Even if you have to drive out of your way to go there. The one that sold you the idol and this fish only have $$$ in their eyes. The fact that they will not take the idol back (even for store credit?) Shows their priority.

Will a FW dip cure him?
FW dips in SW fish often do more harm then good. Taking a fish that is already stressed, netting it and placing it in an environment opposite of the norm will only serve to stress it more.

I npticed that when I was acclimating him, he kept coming to the surface and almost breathed in air? I think it is a paratie. What do I do!!! I dont have a QT tank set up. Can I put him in a bowl or something and temp. use it as a QT to keep him in?
Yup, time to find a new LFS. You need to set up a normal QT. Start now so if you need to treat with medication it will be ready. NEVER medicate the main.

In all honesty, you need to slow down a bit and heed the advice given here. Please, please, please inquire about new additions BEFORE you buy them. I have a feeling that the advice you get here will be a bit more objective then what you will get at the LFS.

Depigmentation on fish can be caused from many sources, poor water quality or parasitic related. Please describe the white area's on the fish better if you can as well as working on a clearer image. Any red sores, bloody patch's, scales sticking out, cottony substances, appetite, gill movements, overall color/behavior, shape texture of any spots and so on....

Most likely you will need to QT and treat the fish but as yet, there is no clear indication as to what or how.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom