Floating plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone here have experience with mosquito fern? I've been reading about it, and it seems like a really cool plant. :)

I have tried growing duckweed and frogbit before, but one was too messy, and the other withered away because the filter kept pushing it under water. I'm wondering if mosquito fern can stand being dunked under water a few times without harm. I've also read that it's one of the pickier floating plants an

Oops, accidentally sent too soon... As I was saying-

I've read that mosquito fern is one of the pickier floating plants and may need supplemental nutrients in the water column. Is this true? And will it tolerate hard water? I've also read that some sort of blue algae grows on the leaf that fertilizes the fern. Does this affect other plants in the tank as well?

So I'm not entirely sure about your mosquito fern but I use Salvinia minima. It grows quickly and doesn't seem to need any special care. You'll just wanna make sure you thin it out regularly so it doesn't completely block the light to your other plants.

Also about your filter knocking the plants under water. I found a little trick using a clean plastic water bottle that stopped the harsh surface current without hurting the water flow to the tank. Like you I was having a problem with my filter doing this to my plants and this has helped perfectly. I'll post a picture below.20170724_110949.jpg20170724_111024.jpg20170724_111012.jpg

I'll definitely look into salvinia minima! It might work for my tank if I can get the water flow under control. I looked at the filter picture, but I am having a hard time seeing the water bottle. [emoji848] I'm probably just missing it.

Back
Top Bottom