Flourish vs Iron + Trace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjsvt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is dosing Flourish Iron plus Flourish Trace the same as Flourish? I'm almost out of Flourish but still have Iron and Trace. I'd like to use them until I get some of the Plantex Csm+b to replace the Flourish. The Plantex CSM+B is the dry fertilizer equivalent to Flourish right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The short answer is no, trace and flourish iron is not the same. As csm+b and flourish trace they are comparable but have slightly different nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The short answer is no, trace and flourish iron is not the same. As csm+b and flourish trace they are comparable but have slightly different nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the reply. Okay so is there a dry fertilizer replacement for Flourish? Or maybe two that you mix together? I guess I'll have to do a little bit more reading I thought Flourish was basically iron and trace micro nutrients.

Yes, CSM+B is a great replacement for flourish trace. Iron is kind of a complicated topic. Flourish iron does work but its draw back is its Fe Glut, which means its only available to plants for a short time. Iron dosing depends on your pH/KH, if you go with a DTPA or EDTA. Iron dosing depends a lot on your current light levels. Some hobbyists will dose .5ppm of iron others only .1ppm. There is a lot of misconceptions around iron such as it being toxic at certain levels. A lot of people spike their trace mix with extra iron, I would not advise trying to hit a certain iron concentration with the CSM+B.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Yes, CSM+B is a great replacement for flourish trace. Iron is kind of a complicated topic. Flourish iron does work but its draw back is its Fe Glut, which means its only available to plants for a short time. Iron dosing depends on your pH/KH, if you go with a DTPA or EDTA. Iron dosing depends a lot on your current light levels. Some hobbyists will dose .5ppm of iron others only .1ppm. There is a lot of misconceptions around iron such as it being toxic at certain levels. A lot of people spike their trace mix with extra iron, I would not advise trying to hit a certain iron concentration with the CSM+B.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Thanks so much for the great information.

I have a 29 gallon with lots of water lettuce plants, one large amazon sword and three babies swords, multiple dwarf sagittaria, 4 banana plants, 3 java ferns with lots of babies, 2 moss balls, 2 anubias hastifolia, and a little bit of micro sword. I use 100% RO water which I buffer to 7.5 and add Equilibrium to maintain my KH about 3.5-4.5, my GH is 6-7. My TDS stays fairly steady about 300-335. My ph usually drops after water change to about 7.5 and climbs to about 7.8 before WC. I have a Finnex Stingray light that I run for 4 hours in the morning, 5 hours off, 5 hours on in the afternoon/evening. I think I'm low light. My tanks does see some very early morning sun for about an hour when the sun shines. About 3-4 hours after my weekly 50% WC, I test my water to see where my baseline numbers are. I usually dose with F. Nitrogen back to 10 ppm, phosphate back to 1-1.5 ppm (I recently purchased the dry KH2PO4 and I'm making my own solution), 5 ppm of F. Potassium., 17 ml of Flourish (which according to the calculator is 0.5 ppm of iron) and then 20 ml F. Excel. Daily I'm dosing 3 ml of F. Excel. On days 3 and 5 I test again. Usually the iron is gone and the phosphate has dropped to 0.25 ppm and my nitrates have been hanging about 10-20. So on Day 3 I usually dose F. Iron and F. Trace, Potassium and Phosphate. On Day 5, I usually dose Flourish, Potassium and Phosphate. Once a month I add 5 DIY root tabs. Everything is growing really well, algae is very minimal and I'm happy with everything. So maybe I should just stick with my current dosing schedule and buy more Flourish. If I buy it on Amazon with Prime shipping, it's only costing me about $0.38 twice a week. If there isn't an equivalent dry fertilizer for Flourish that's cheaper maybe I'll just stick with my current plan. I do have a used 55 gal set up that I'd like to move to someday but I'm not there yet. So the cost would go up if and when I move to a larger set up.

Thanks again for the great help. I appreciate it!

I mean CSM+B is the equivalent and cheaper. But hey if you dont mind spending the little bit extra and things are going well dont sweat it!

Back
Top Bottom