Flow Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought some floating plants for my tank and right away notices that they were being pushed under and getting stuck from the flow coming out of my marineland penguin 100b biowheel filter. So i researched online to try and find some ways to reduce flow. So i put some nylon on the intake. But now, after a few days, the water is just trickling out and when Bio wheel isn't even spinning. Is this OK? I was just worried that there wasnt enough oxygen in the water column.

You want the bio wheel spinning. The air/water combo is what creates the bio. Try raising your water level a little. The lower the water, the harder it falls. Just be careful you don't create a syphon in the form of a glass run.

Edit: do you have any of those lead weights that hold the plants down. I do this for my anarchist and hornwort.

Readingexcalibur said:
You want the bio wheel spinning. The air/water combo is what creates the bio. Try raising your water level a little. The lower the water, the harder it falls. Just be careful you don't create a syphon in the form of a glass run.

Edit: do you have any of those lead weights that hold the plants down. I do this for my anarchist and hornwort.

OK. I will try that tomorrow and see what happens

There is also a plast mesh you can cover your filter intake with, nylon is not so porous so the water is having trouble getting through. I used it for my wave runner so my cna and baby fish wouldn't get stuck or sucked in ;)

SimpleSushi said:
There is also a plast mesh you can cover your filter intake with, nylon is not so porous so the water is having trouble getting through. I used it for my wave runner so my cna and baby fish wouldn't get stuck or sucked in ;)

Would a sponge help? IM getting shrimp soon so i will most likely need to get one anyway.

SimpleSushi said:
Yea a sponge will do, just make sure it is thin or as thin as you can get it. Thick sponges will slow the water flow.

But i want to slow my water flow. Just not to the detriment of my tank. Would i just be better to invest in a new filter with adjustable flow. I was thinking aquaclear or fluval

I never liked fluval personally. Aquaclear can adjust a little. Have one on my 20 planted and have found it to be a decent filter. I still think raising your water level is the key here. You would get the same filtration with less current.

The penguin filters flow should be able to be adjusted using the intake tube; raising it up and down. There should be notches along side. Also, the wheel does not have to spin! In fact, as it accumulates bacteria, it will brown in color and rotate less. Your manual will tell u about the wheel spin if u have it. Also, make sure the wheel isn't stuck on one side. They kind of wiggle a little and sometimes get "stuck" if u will. Emperors work the same except the flow control is on the side.

mohican said:
The penguin filters flow should be able to be adjusted using the intake tube; raising it up and down. There should be notches along side. Also, the wheel does not have to spin! In fact, as it accumulates bacteria, it will brown in color and rotate less. Your manual will tell u about the wheel spin if u have it. Also, make sure the wheel isn't stuck on one side. They kind of wiggle a little and sometimes get "stuck" if u will. Emperors work the same except the flow control is on the side.

Is the part you are referring to part 47450423?

Attachments

• 47450419.jpeg
    47450419.jpeg
    55.3 KB · Views: 439
I apologize. I had an older model of the penguin and the whole intake tube would raise up and down controlling flow. It would be part 0430 and on down. Does ur model not move? If not, try sponge as stated before by others. Thanks for the diagram. Sorry if I got any hopes up. The part u refereed to is for the mid level intake tube.

I was thinking of getting a fluval c2 and then eventually putting the penguin on my 10g. Has anyone had experience with the c2? Ive heard its basically an updated aquaclear 20 since they are both made by hagen

You can buy an ATI Filter Max III replacement sponge that allows higher flow rates at American Aquarium for $2.89. I use one of these over the strainer of my Marineland Emperor 400. I also modified two of the trays to bubble air through bio media, increasing the bio filtration even more.

rotorhead22 said:
You can buy an ATI Filter Max III replacement sponge that allows higher flow rates at American Aquarium for $2.89. I use one of these over the strainer of my Marineland Emperor 400. I also modified two of the trays to bubble air through bio media, increasing the bio filtration even more.

Alright. Ill look into that. Sorry but this will help lower the the flow correct? I was just confused when you said it allows higher flow rates

Sorry about that. The type of sponge (pore size and density) allows for higher flow rates (less restriction). The sponge used for example, on the Filter Max I and II, are higher density foams with very small pores. If you want more restriction of flow, you can use a higher density sponge. Putting a sponge on the strainer will restrict some flow but you can tailor the flow by adjusting the thickness of the foam around the strainer (sculpting the sponge with a knife or razor blade).

Here is a pic of the strainer and uptake. The other sponge you see in the foreground is a ATI Filter Max II connected to a Hagen Aquaclear 30 powerhead..

Attachments

• image-2795252805.jpg
    image-2795252805.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 59
rotorhead22 said:
Here is a pic of the strainer and uptake. The other sponge you see in the foreground is a ATI Filter Max II connected to a Hagen Aquaclear 30 powerhead..

OK thanks. IM just gonna buy one off Amazon when i get a new filter

Go with the fluval C series. I've had a few filters including aqua clear. They don't compare to the fluval. I love my C4. It's customizable and has a flow controller that actually works.

Just my opinion.

micaiah12 said:
Go with the fluval C series. I've had a few filters including aqua clear. They don't compare to the fluval. I love my C4. It's customizable and has a flow controller that actually works.

Just my opinion.

Awesome!!! What media do you use. I watched a video on YouTube reviewing the c4 and the Guy was talking about how you have to replace the pad, the c nodes, the carbon and the Bio screen. Is this true. I never replace anything in my filter, i only rinse. But i have never had a filter other than my marineland penguin

Back
Top Bottom