Flower pots.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aski247

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I just bought several pots for my cichlids(rd/jd) and my bichir. I'm curious as how to go about cracking them in half/back out of them with no saw or drill. Any tips would help a lot.

Thanks.
Andrew

Are you trying to get the bottom out or trying to cut them right in half? I stared at mine for a while trying to figure out how to cut them in half too but then I decided the easiest thing to do was just bury half of it in the substrate. I have sand so it was really easy just to stick it in

When my son did his pots he knocked the bottom out by putting a socket in it and lifting the pot hard enough to get the socket to come up to his hand and then quickly pushing it down, giving the socket enough force to break out the bottom (a trick I used to use with a nail and glass soda bottle to break out the bottom to make a funnel). He did break a few pots in the process but finally got the desired result.

He, too, buried the rest in the substrate. He did try breaking them in half but didnt have any success. He has 4 whole pots (minus the bottoms) in his tank and I think he went through 8 others that were broken. He tried scoring the sides and tapping with a hammer - no luck. He tried a cold chisel with the pot on a 2X2 sitting inside - no luck. Both methods broke the pot every time. Rather than break more, he half-buried the ones with the bottoms knocked out into the substrate.

There may be a way, I dont know, short of using a ceramic saw. If you find out, please post it. We would be most interested.

Why not post where you live. Maybe someone near would cut them for you. If you are near me I,ll cut them (Free).

I am with AF, it seems to be very hard to get exactly what you want without a wet saw. Luckily my dad had one from where he did some tile work and it worked like a charm. So finding somebody that could do this for you would be your best bet.

You might try finding someone who does tile or masonry work to see if they will cut them for you for a few bucks. (Maybe a bath or kitcen remodeler?)I've never done it, but I can't imagine it will take all that long. If you take the work to their shop, all they have to do is set up the saw, add water, and cut.

Back
Top Bottom