Fluidized moving bed filtration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Overfilter

Aquarium Advice Freak
While I've been half-aware of this filtration type, I didn't look at it in detail until today. I understand that this approach is big in Europe. It can be very cheap and very affective in maximizing the nitrogen cycle if constructed properly.

Does anyone here have direct experience with this method? Opinions and thoughts, as always, are welcome.

I haven't ever used it, so only what I've read. On fishwonders post about filtration one time, I read where it was one of the most effective types. Much more than static ceramic, sintered glass or lava rock. But that's all I know.

Strangely, and regardless of what some of the brainwashed think, many different types of media have a place in filtration strategies. I don't know enough about moving bed to doubt the reviewer, but he mentioned that sintered glass does indeed work very well as part of this form of filtration.

I don't want to sink a 2-liter soda bottle into my tank but I will give moving media a try in some form, Charlie. Bezos has some more compact retail versions that look interesting too. I don't know if I mentioned it but a marine LFS near us has a large moving bed inline and looking at it run is almost mesmerizing.

Okay! But if you make it Bill will be happy to see you, buy something or no! Pritzker (sp?) is making it hard for local business.

You sound like my wife! "WE have to eat more salads!!!" One of the fluid beds I saw on youtube had this weird cloud of debris suspended in a swirl of media. The media was supposedly eating the material, while growing AND casting off dead or dying parts of itself at the same time. The resulting water is then moved to a reactor-style device for deep nitrate cleaning. All for the cost of a good air pump.

It seems like I'm going to need a degree in "pseudo science" to know if this rig is too good to be true. :confused:

I love a good apple pie and I can have a bit every now and then, now.

Last edited:
I actually did build one of these using a 2 liter bottle and micro K1 media. Took about 3 weeks to get the media moving. Yes, it turned brown and was nice to watch the media moving all around. Turned out to be a fad I think with the bottle in the tank. Really should be used in large moving bed filters like a sump is where it would work best or maybe a canister with mesh bags. I could never prove it did anything for aerobic bacteria after 6 months except there was brown gunk inside the media. Took it out and threw it all away.

I actually did build one of these using a 2 liter bottle and micro K1 media. Took about 3 weeks to get the media moving. Yes, it turned brown and was nice to watch the media moving all around. Turned out to be a fad I think with the bottle in the tank. Really should be used in large moving bed filters like a sump is where it would work best or maybe a canister with mesh bags. I could never prove it did anything for aerobic bacteria after 6 months except there was brown gunk inside the media. Took it out and threw it all away.
Oh wow, I wondered if such a small size like i saw online would really do much. I could easily see a whole system moving thru like a sump, having a big benefit. But I've never even seen one, so I'm def no expert lol

I've seen what happens when hobbyists choose to use cast-off and garbage to accomplish their ends. That refuse quickly turns into religious icons.

"Look, I was able to use this 50-year old radiator from a wrecking yard to dissipate my liquid cooling rig! NO ONE can hope for, or use anything different unless they want to be labeled a heretic, and treated accordingly!!!"

Dramatic? Yes. But very true. I posted in a forum 20-years ago that was roiled for weeks with invective, hate and egotism for something as simple as an idea, responsive retail. Many of us wanted parts for our cooling subsystems that didn't need to be scraped of rust or soaked in alcohol/detergent for days before use.

While YES, I've been impressed with the things I've watched on YT, none of the videos included numbers related to scale, fish load or water quality after extended use. I have, however, SEEN an active-bed sump the size of my 125g. The swirling mass of media and detritus serviced a 1000g marine ecosystem. The water was crystal clear and the inhabitant's seemed fine. Out of politeness and respect I didn't touch anything or break out a pocket test kit. Nor did I russle up some tired, personality-driven internet tome about what the LFS owner MUST use to be "acceptable." I simply congratulated the gentleman for having a stunning reef tank and walked away starry-eyed and amazed.

Will I install an active-bed filter? Not sure yet. I need to justify it first, both intellectually and practically. The misses wants her own planted tank, which gives me an opening to try some cool stuff.

In summary, all I suggest is that we all try to think on our own and be aware of the tactics that pseudo intellectuals and control freaks use to get us to follow what they think is proper. I don't speak only about water and fish either. I suspect these conflicts have been around as long as human ingenuity and perceived need have existed.

True true. I once made an internal canister from an old plastic pretzel barrel and a power head and rigid tubing. It worked pretty good. The fish really thought it was cool, they would get in the top and sit in it like a transparent cave and stare at me

Back
Top Bottom