Fluorite...sooo messy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
After having my tank set up for a bit and finally getting my t5 light I decided to add some plants. I'm now finding out that if I so much as blink at my red fluorite gravel it creates a storm. The tank walls are red, the driftwood has red, the plants have red powder on them. if I leave the substrate be the tank is clear but it is quite difficult to aquascape when I have to wait hours for the water to clear every time I move a plant. I'm really starting to regret getting the flourite. Does anyone have any ideas to make this better?

You need to treat Flourite like it was the dirt in a dirted tank. Put about a 2" cap of sand or fine gravel or Eco-like plant substrate on top of it to seal it off from the water. OS.

You need to treat Flourite like it was the dirt in a dirted tank. Put about a 2" cap of sand or fine gravel or Eco-like plant substrate on top of it to seal it off from the water. OS.
It's my understanding that the fluorite will just surface over the cap eventually anyways?

Im talking about fluorite. Nobody really caps it from what I understand
2eqe9e6a.jpg

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

Did you rinse it before you put it in the tank? It should settle down and clear up with water changes.

I did rinse it, its been in the tank for a month or so now.

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

I have red Flourite capped with plain gravel, about a 1.5 inch cap and it works fine. Lots of people cap Flourite either for cost savings or for issue's you have mentioned. Mine has been running for over 2 years, the gravel is still on top and I don't have any issues with it stirring up any mess when I move things around other then what you would normally expect. A gravel cap also allows you to lightly vacum that layer if you chose with out disturbing ferts or tabs you might have in the Flourite.

I'm using brown fluorite. It will get better in time. In the meantime, get you some planting tweezers to minimize how much you move the substrate when you plant.

If you've got a storm of dust, you didn't wash it enough. The trick is to use a two stage approach.

Stage 1. Set-up a colander with a bucket underneath while working in small batches. You can wash about 80% of your fluorite pretty quickly this way (couple minutes per batch). I just let the water overflow in the bucket. The dirty water just has the fine particles you don't want anyway.

Stage 2. After the big pieces have been washed, I focus on the remaining 20% and give it a thorough washing using a finer mesh strainer. This is where all the stuff is that is messing up your water.

I've seen some sites that say to dry your washed fluorite in an oven. I didn't do that. When I put mine back into the tank, there was a slight milky haze in the water that eventually cleared. It definitely didn't look like a river bottom though. It was a lot of trouble, but I didn't want to have to deal with this every time something needed a little adjustment in my tank.

I washed mine well, but not that well. I wish I'd read that before I set up. I got a lot of mine out with water changes.

I washed the hell out of mine then capped it with a 1 1/2" layer of small red flint gravel. It was still cloudy for weeks, but eventually cleared; that tank is crystal clear now. I added the gravel, which looks similar in color, because Flourite seems too sharp for the barbels of corys, but I'm sure capping it helped immensely to keep the mess down.

I used Eco-Complete in the other tank and it is SO much better than Flourite in many ways. I wouldn't use Flourite in another tank.

I think that washing (really really) well or capping it would have made your life easier but I also agree that with a little time under your belt the problem will resolve itself. I looked at mine last night pretty close and I noticed that underneath the tank all you could see was the super fine partical's. Based on that i would conclude that over time all the super fine particles make there way down to the bottom where eventually they wont be disturbed and cloud the water. So I think you'll be fine after a while.

Back
Top Bottom