fluval 406 help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon.ownd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The dragon goby saga continues! I swear he has grown an inch already since coming home! He seems really happy in his 20 gallon fresh water tank, I love watching him shake himself in to the sand, he kind of reminds me of a finned puppy... His coloring is great, he has definitely gotten a really neat iridescent sheen. I am so glad he's doing so well, I was so worried about him thriving while we set up a good tank for him.

His new home (I went with 75 gallon when I realized that I didn't have anywhere to put a 90 gallon!) is working on it's fishless cycle (wow do I feel like I'm back in chemistry class, but it's been a great summer science lesson for my oldest) but I'm a little confused about the filter. It has a 406 fluval filter, but I'm not entirely sure what components I need for it.

I already ordered the nylon bags w/ carbon, what else should I get for the tank? It seems like there are a lot of options, should I get the bio filter and bio max rings? Our filter for the 20 gallon just consists of a carbon bag and little plastic scrubbers, so I'm a little confused by all the options.

Thanks!

I run several Fluval 406's on various tanks and honestly with 4 baskets I use the black sponges that come with the filter on the bottom, then cheap 100% polyfill you can get at places like craft stores or Walmart (just be sure it's 100% polyester) in the 2nd baskets from the bottom, then with carbon, purgen, or more polyfill in the 3rd basket, and then bio media in the top basket. Just watch a 406 is pretty big to run on a 20g tank. I run 4 on my 220g tank.

I run several Fluval 406's on various tanks and honestly with 4 baskets I use the black sponges that come with the filter on the bottom, then cheap 100% polyfill you can get at places like craft stores or Walmart (just be sure it's 100% polyester) in the 2nd baskets from the bottom, then with carbon, purgen, or more polyfill in the 3rd basket, and then bio media in the top basket. Just watch a 406 is pretty big to run on a 20g tank. I run 4 on my 220g tank.

Thanks, that helps so much! To clarify - the 406 is for the new 75 gallon tank :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom