Fluval 406

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deckape

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have this new 405 that's been renamed 406? I wonder if the redesign is cosmetic or actually better.

• Increased Hydraulic performance = Less frequent maintenance
• Increased water filtration performance = Cleaner water
• Sound dampening impeller design = Quieter operation
• Re-engineered efficient priming system = Easier starting
• Strengthened Lift-lock clamps = Secure closure
• New media format = Improved water quality

That's what I could find, but usually when a model number is changed there are noticeable changes made. The 05's have interchangeable parts for the most part, but most likely the 06's are not compatible.

The best just got better! | FLUVAL: The Official Blog from Hagen
Pretty much what sparky said..
Increased performance and stuff like that... it looks like they have new aqua stop valves and maybe have a new media layout, but I can't be sure because on the blog it doesn't say about that and the only pictures it has are of the outside of the new one
here's some changes they mention in the post:
-New colors
-New priming pump mechanism
-New "lift lock" clips on the aquastop valve
-if to 15 percent more flow than the 05 series filters, but without causing more power usage
-It's supposedly quieter than the 05's
-New impeller mechanism with a new impeller cover
Here's another page about it: http://www.fluvalblog.com/the-best-just-got-better/

Yea I read all the hype and was just wondering if anyone had actually purchased and used it yet. Thanks

Yea I read all the hype and was just wondering if anyone had actually purchased and used it yet. Thanks
Same here... the blog post said it was available in stores now, but I haven't seen anything about anyone actually having one of the filters yet.

maxwellag said:
Same here... the blog post said it was available in stores now, but I haven't seen anything about anyone actually having one of the filters yet.

Yea I didn't even know they were updating the 405. I accidentally found it on Ebay last night as I was pricing the 405s. I haven't heard anyone even mention it.

Oh nice. I was about to get another 405 anyways... will let y'all know what I think of it as soon as I can find one for a price not significantly higher than what I paid for the 405.

Here I found one for pretty cheap, but not the cheapest I'd like it to be

Rokuzachi said:
Oh nice. I was about to get another 405 anyways... will let y'all know what I think of it as soon as I can find one for a price not significantly higher than what I paid for the 405.

Yea they are surely more money than the 405. I see them going on ebay for about 140 and up... (USD)

Edit: The buy it now price on the cheapest I've noticed is 167 USD. The buy it now price is 139 on the 405. Both with free shipping

Last edited:
the 406's are going for $140 on the e-bay at the moment, mine is getting delivered it today

has anyone compared it to the 405?

if not i might take some pictures and compare, since i have a new 405 at home as well.

I just snatched up one of the 206's from Amazon for only 99$ (which was way less than I paid for my 205 two years ago). Hopefully it will be here next week.

I think the biggest changes are probably the +15% power output, and the "Bio-Foam". I'm not sure if "Bio-Foam" is supposed to be replacing ceramic media or just supplementing it.

decided to put mine to use, not all too many changes

the impeller cover only clicks in via 1 side and no more clear brittle plastic.

color changes here and there, a new aquastop valve, and clear tubing and plastic for intake strainer and output nozzle

media trays are now white, but no other changes, comes with egg crate foam for bottom, 1 tray bio max, 2 trays carbon, and filter polishing pads.

Back
Top Bottom