Fluval canisters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's the difference between fluval 305 and 306 canisters? Should I just get a 205/206 for a 180 litre?

What's the difference between fluval 305 and 306 canisters? Should I just get a 205/206 for a 180 litre?

I'd put the 406 on a tank that size but I like to overfilter.
The 04/05/06 is the series number. Every couple of years they come out with a new series of filters with minor improvements. Hence the 06 is newer than the 05.

Have you looked at Eheim classic filters? I prefer them. The 2217 from Eheim is $40 cheaper than the Fluval 406 and IMO it's a better filter.

The 306 will be running in conjunction with the juwel rio internal filter so hopefully that would be enough filtration. Can't really get anything more expensive as this is a Xmas present.
Those 2 should be enough right?

The 306 will be running in conjunction with the juwel rio internal filter so hopefully that would be enough filtration. Can't really get anything more expensive as this is a Xmas present.
Those 2 should be enough right?

Ya it'll be enough. I'd still steer you towards an Eheim. A 2217 is still cheaper than a Fluval 306.

The 2217 is $114 on Amazon.com

Amazon.com: EHEIM Classic 2215371 External Canister Filter with Media for up to 92 US Gallons: Pet Supplies

It's about $150-160 at pet shops, while the 306 is $10 more (usually).

Eheim Classic Canister Filter with Media - 2217

Haha sorry dearer means more expensive. We use it in the UK

I think it's worth 20 pounds to get a better filter. The 2217 is (IMO) a better design and uses significantly higher quality biological media than the fluval.

There's also a 2215 model by Eheim, which is slightly smaller. That would probably be in your price bracket.

If you just don't like the Eheim design after looking at it, don't buy it.

I would steer you towards an eheim too but a 306 and the juwel internal will still be good filtration for your rio180.

Got the eihem 2217. It'll help if if get a bigger tank too. Currently have a 205 on another 180 litre that seems to be doing ok. Wanted extra filtration though because it's for cichlids.

Thanks guys.

Got the eihem 2217. It'll help if if get a bigger tank too. Currently have a 205 on another 180 litre that seems to be doing ok. Wanted extra filtration though because it's for cichlids.

Thanks guys.

Eheim classics are my fav filters of all time, my friend has a 10yr old 2213. They out live their owners, well maybe not quite ha but good choice on the 2217!

Last edited:
Thanks. You lot helped me decide. How could I ignore all the recommendations. It's just that I am familiar with the fluval but now I get to play around with both.

Do you get media with it do you think? Or do you have to buy it all separate?

I imagine you just get a piece if sponge. It didn't say on amazon.

Can't believe my filter cost more than the tank! Haha!

If its new it should come with sponges (however many) carbon and some floss.

Fleabay has bulk bio rings cheap. Depending on how long you're willing to wait you can buy a kilo from china for cheap as heck or pay alittle more for a seller in the uk.

I layer mine with two pockets of bio rings for 2213 or 3 for the 2217 split up by coarse blue sponges.

Last edited:
If its new it should come with sponges (however many) carbon and some floss.

Fleabay has bulk bio rings cheap. Depending on how long you're willing to wait you can buy a kilo from china for cheap as heck or pay alittle more for a seller in the uk.

I layer mine with two pockets of bio rings for 2213 or 3 for the 2217 split up by coarse blue sponges.

Are you talking about the 2217? The 2213/15/17 in North America have been sold for years and years now complete with:

EHFIMECH Mechanical substrate
2 blue foam mechanical filter pads
EHFISUBSTRAT PRO Biological substrate
1 White water polishing pad
Hoses
2x quick disconnect valves

http://www.bigalspets.com/classic-canister-filter-with-media-2217.html
^ See package here.

The filter media it comes with looks like this

filtermedia3.jpg

Except that the filter pads are blue.

The only media you ever have to replace are the blue pads and they last like 5-10 years before they start to fall apart.

You've made the right choice, Caliban07. You will enjoy your 2217 filter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom