fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alrighty. I've picked out a bulb. This one, suggested by convict!

http://ledtric.myshopify.com/products/ledtric-par38-zooman72-full-spectrum-18w-reeflamp-1

I love the variety of colors that it has. It costs more than I want to spend, but if I'm going to have over $100 worth of corals that will thrive I guess I better get a good light.

Also, today I tested pH ammo and trites.

The ammo is almost gone! I think trites are lighter than yesterday and my pH has bottomed out. I'd say the cycle is coming right along!

Maybe my first livestock will be a peppermint shrimp (daughters choice), hermit crab (sons choice) and a nassarius snail. What do I feed them? I know it would only be a tiny bit.

And about my lid, it's still flexing but it is ok. I was afraid it would flex and fall in, but it isn't. So I'm not going to worry about it. It's doing it's job. Reducing evaporation and keeping the kitten (and kids fingers) out.

Attachments

• image-2763629746.jpg
    image-2763629746.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 59
Hey guys- so I have a small HOB filter that I took the cartridge out of and put in live rock rubble. So... I think it working good. I don't know. I was thinking I should put something in it to catch large particles. One of those kitchen scrubbers? They look like this picture but I want the plastic kind not the metal one.

Attachments

• image-2257146859.jpg
    image-2257146859.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 87
Bearchumjs said:
Hey guys- so I have a small HOB filter that I took the cartridge out of and put in live rock rubble. So... I think it working good. I don't know. I was thinking I should put something in it to catch large particles. One of those kitchen scrubbers? They look like this picture but I want the plastic kind not the metal one.

That will work. You see a lot of those in DIY sumps.

I have to fold laundry so naturally I decided to dream up my coral scape... Here's a picture. Thank for looking!

Front view
A. Zoas
B. Duncan #1
C. Branching montipora
D. Duncan #2
E. sun polyps
F. Worm brain

Side view:
A. Branching monti from picture 1
B. Duncan #2 from pic 1
C. Sun polyps from pic
D. Zoas
E. Mushroom waterfall
F. Feather duster worm colony.

Attachments

• image-2863880681.jpg
    image-2863880681.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3827114803.jpg
    image-3827114803.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 93
Is this more coraline? When I got the liverock rubble I noticed the small red spots. They have grown. I know the rock it's sitting on has coraline, but this is a different color and was small red spots when I brought it home. I thought nothing of it but its growing so...

Attachments

• image-3535864556.jpg
    image-3535864556.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 87
I have a question or 2.

1. I think I'm going to do a 2 gal pwc because my ammonia is just about gone, my nitrites are bright purple and my nitrates are a lovely shade of deep red. how long do I have to let my saltwater mix for? Also, I don't have a power head (yet) for mixing but I could us an airstone to create some movement and water agitation.

2. Once my ammonia is gone, can I just put a cube of frozen bloodworms in there to feed my bacteria while I wait for the cycle to finish?

You really don't have to let it mix at all right now. Just mix it up matching temp and salinity and add it in. But for when you have livestock, it's recommended to let mix for a few hours at least.. preferably about 24 hours.

Yeah, that'll work. Anything that will rot.

scottayy said:
You really don't have to let it mix at all right now. Just mix it up matching temp and salinity and add it in. But for when you have livestock, it's recommended to let mix for a few hours at least.. preferably about 24 hours.

Yeah, that'll work. Anything that will rot.

Thanks!

What do I feed a hermit crab, a peppermint shrimp, and a nassarius snail? When my tank is cycled this will be my first additions.

Bearchumjs said:
Thanks!

What do I feed a hermit crab, a peppermint shrimp, and a nassarius snail? When my tank is cycled this will be my first additions.

Food. Seriously I just fed mine mysis or brine. Maybe half a cube if that or I'd add some food from reefs nutrition that's intended for inverts.

That's all I did.

Convict2161 said:
Food. Seriously I just fed mine mysis or brine. Maybe half a cube if that or I'd add some food from reefs nutrition that's intended for inverts.

That's all I did.

Sounds simple enough. Thanks!

Well, I went to petco and it was a sad day for their saltwater tanks. Firefish dying, neon gobies dying... Green bubble algae on a coral, corals looked washed out and bad. No fire shrimp, no hermits... They had skunk cleaner shrimp and snails. Some cool baby fox face fish. Little crabs of some sort- emerald or pom poms. Very small. I looked at their frozen food. Lots of that. I saw the cutest clown hosting a nem. So I took a photo. Hopefully their tanks are looking better when I go to buy snails and a shrimp. I bought a black background and some air line tubing. Yay...so exciting.

Attachments

• image-3853799568.jpg
    image-3853799568.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 100
Well you're right. That is a pretty bleached nem. Mine doesn't even carry fancy stuff like that normally! Only clowns, a random 300 gallon fish, and condys. Once and awhile I'll find a gem, since I know when their fish arrive. Thats how I got my carpet nem.

Back
Top Bottom