fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I just stopped by the LFS. I have my stocking list now!

1 citrine goby
1 fire shrimp
1 Pom Pom crab
2 hermit crabs
5 nassarius snails
5 of the snails Scottayy has but I can't remember the name ATM.

So hopefully Monday I can get the citrine goby and a hermit and a nassarius snail. That won't be too much at once will it? I've included a picture of the goby. :)

citrine goby.. so cute!!!

Ok wait- there is another bacteria that turns nitrate into gas? Should I wait to get a fish? If my levels were good tomorrow I was going to do a pwc and then on monday get the goby, a snail, a hermit and some frozen mysis.

Like scottay was sayin your nitrate levels should eventually be turned into gas which would remove them from the aquarium. As long as your nitrate levels are below 10 ppm and your have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite you should be good to go.

Thanks for the input.

Hey... Remember I got the live rock rubble from the LFS? It's possible that it had some of the gas producing stuff on it- yes?

I'm so excited about getting a fish!! I can't believe they had the citrine goby. I've never seen them carry them before.

And I see why people will buy a blue tang for a small tank. They had two there the size of a 50 cent piece. If I didn't do research and the person at the store didn't have the knowledge it's probably something I would have bought for my 55 if it were up and running as a marine tank. Research is so important. You guys are awesome here! It helps tremendously!

No probably not. Hardly anyone has any signficant amount of it, even after years of established systems. Some people buy denitrating coils and other devices, or vodka dosing/suspended carbs. Water changes are still the easiest and best method of getting rid of the nitrates, not to mention replenishing trace elements.

I can't wait for you to get the goby.

How's your topping off going? Been remembering to do it?

scottayy said:
No probably not. Hardly anyone has any signficant amount of it, even after years of established systems. Some people buy denitrating coils and other devices, or vodka dosing/suspended carbs. Water changes are still the easiest and best method of getting rid of the nitrates, not to mention replenishing trace elements.

I can't wait for you to get the goby.

How's your topping off going? Been remembering to do it?

I haven't had to top off since my last pwc a few days ago. Does that seem odd? I guess since my lid is bowed in the center the water evaporation collects on it and drips back in? I can live with that.

I do get some salt buildup on the lid. Can I wipe it off with my finger and let it go back into the tank?

Yea I would just go with a water change tonight and check your levels again Tom. If your nitrates are still low you should be good.

No don't add back any salt that has collected on the lid. Most likely this salt was left behind by water that's evaporated. Adding it back to the tank would raise your salinity if you haven't topped off. Stable salinity is everything in saltwater.

Huffers said:
Yea I would just go with a water change tonight and check your levels again Tom. If your nitrates are still low you should be good.

I think I'm going to mix the water tonight and put my heater in it. I'll do a pwc tomorrow. We're going to start a batman movie marathon as soon as I'm done cooking dinner. And I understand what you are saying about the salt on the lid. I'll just wash it off into the sink.

*Will a blue leg hermit eat bloodworms or should I try and suck them all out when I do the pwc tomorrow?

That'll work. Personally I wouldn't leave the bloodworms in to rot once your cycle is complete.

So... My research on citrine gobies says they like to perch atop branchy acropora. Sooooo.... Y'all know any that would be good for me to research? They are sps right? I believe the light I'm getting will grow them....

That goby is very cute!! Perfect timing for them to have one! Guess it was meant to be!! I have a Pom Pom crab. He's very cute. I waited to find one that had very big pom poms, but he molted a day or two after I got him and lost one of his poms. Then a few days later he lost the other one. He's still cute though. I read that most of them lose their poms in aquariums. :( When I feed, he'll come out and I put a couple pieces of mysis right on him with the turkey Baster, and he'll grab one with front claws and another with his back legs!! He holds onto both tightly until he eats them both, even while he walks up the side of the rock. Guess thats when have multiple sets of legs pays off!! Lol. Have fun fish shopping!! Yea!!

Well- the water is mixed. 3 gallons. However, the package said 1 cup per gallon and I had appx. 1 1/4 cups. So I guess I will be buying some reef crystals tomorrow so I can get the proper salinity.

Yeah they will kill the acropora if I remember right. They like to perch on other things they won't kill though. They are excellent perchers! Unfortunately it's just going to sit a lot. Not a real active swimmer but still the cutest thing ever.

scottayy said:
Yeah they will kill the acropora if I remember right. They like to perch on other things they won't kill though. They are excellent perchers! Unfortunately it's just going to sit a lot. Not a real active swimmer but still the cutest thing ever.

I went back and read again- yes- they like to eat mucus and lay eggs in acropora. And they like branching corals. You are absolutely right! As far as swimming activity, I guess it's good that they perch more than swim because it's a small tank anyway. What's a good branching coral then? Finger leathers?

Tested water.

.25 ammo
.25 nitrite
>20ppm nitrate but not 40ppm

I'm going to get more salt today and test the water this afternoon before I do a water change. I'd like to see how fast the bacteria are processing the ammonia and such. If its gone by this afternoon I'll be good to go on getting a fish tomorrow, right?

Omg-- frag guy on Craigslist said he has just about everything-- over 250 frags. Y'all want me to ask if he will ship? Lol! I will take pictures with my phone when I go over there in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom