Fluval fx5 for 46 galllon bow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrkGumby12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a slightly planted 46 euro bow front and am wondering if after the fx5 is filled with media, if it will be too much flow/current for my 3 fancies???

I have a slightly planted 46 euro bow front and am wondering if after the fx5 is filled with media, if it will be too much flow/current for my 3 fancies???

A Fx-5 could be a bit much ... even stuffed with media. You could easily look at the Fluval 306 ... should be enough filtration. If you still want more, then the 406.

I'm running the 406 on my 75g right now and I think that is plenty. A FX5 on a 46g would be like a dishwasher.

I run an FX5 on my 220g and it has some serious water flow. I run Fluval 406's on my 55g's and they do great, nice flow but doesn't blow the fish all over.

How about a fluval g3?

Would that be a better idea, less flow but still significantly advanced filtration, i run a marineland emperor 400 and im not disappointed with it, but im not impressed and maintenance seems to be an annoyance. I'd like to go to a canister, just looking for something that i'll enjoy having peace of mind about..

Never used a G3 so can't help you there. I like the 406's. They are simple and easy to do maintenance on. Plus they have alot of space for different types of media.

Would that be a better idea, less flow but still significantly advanced filtration, i run a marineland emperor 400 and im not disappointed with it, but im not impressed and maintenance seems to be an annoyance. I'd like to go to a canister, just looking for something that i'll enjoy having peace of mind about..

Considering your looking for something which I would think is easy to maintain and reliable, you could consider an Aqua Clear-70. Not a canister, but it's got plenty of filtration and the way it's designed with it's pull out basket, it's simple to clean out the media.

If your still going canister, a 306 should be all the filtration you need.

Thanks a lot for the replies but I definitely want a system that's way more advanced and will keep my fish super clean and healthy plus if I ever were to upgrade I can keep this long term, also I know that goldfish need it super clean because they're super duty waste producers, just a bit concerned because the filter flow seems to be low at like 165g/hr but that's I'm sure what the emperor 400 puts out at best anyway because what they state is bologna

Back
Top Bottom