Fluval Power Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruceanthony

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have a fluval c-series power filter? I have a question about how they work.

Yes - I have one .... here's how it works

First, here is a youtube review:

Fluval C3 Power Filter Review - YouTube

I just installed a C3 on my 29 gallon on Monday. It is easy to do.

Water flows from back to front as follows
1) Mechanical Frame has a Poly/Foam Pad insert to remove large debris
2) Chemical Basket - Activated carbon comes in a biobag in the the package along with the filter. Don't order refills because after the first month, you don't need carbon so you have a bazillion choices on what to put in here. I recommend filter floss + seachem purigen + 100 micron filter pad for water polishing.
3) Biological Trickle Chamber - Holds the C-nodes for biological filtration. It is covered with a thin "bio screen" media. to provide additional "trickle system" filtration. Watch the above you tube video to see it in action.

And there you have it !!

Note: The C series needs more space between the back of the aquarium and the wall than most. The C3 needs about 3 &1/4 inches. The C4 needs about 4 inches as I understand it. The aqua-tech 30-60 on my 38 gallon only takes up 3 inches and I have about 3&3/4 inxhwa of space so I can't fit a C4 or an AquaClear50 (both brands made by HAGEN) on my 38 gallon.

Hey thanks. I've actually had a C3 on my 29 gallon for about a month now. It works great. The thing is, I just put a C2 on my 10 gallon a couple days ago. It seems to work great too, but I noticed a difference between the two, and I didn't know if it was a problem or not. So, you know where the water comes out on the left and flows over the top of the trickle chamber? Well, on the C3, water's flowing out of there at a pretty good rate. But, on the C2, there's little or no water flowing on top of the trickle chamber. The filter's still filtering. There's plenty of water going through the system. There's just no water on top of the trickle chamber. Any ideas?

My C2 did that too st first. I took everything apart and made sure to reassemble everything tightly, making sure things snap in well where they need to go. Upon restart, the flow was substantially better and the trickle wet/dry chamber got plenty of water. It's been about two years with mine, no problems.

More about the Poly/Foam Pad

Turns out, the first two of the so-called five stage filter are in the pad. I just noticed today, the side where water enters is very coarse .... then it gets finer .... to the point it's almost a "polishing pad". The instructions are very clear about making certain you put it in the correct wasy.

Back
Top Bottom