Fluval Spec 2 gallon. Anybody have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mistersprinkles

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought an Aqueon Evolve 2 and a mini heater for a betta.

Aqueon-Evolve-2-LED-Aquarium.jpg

I get home, and I youtube it, and there's a review of it running and the amount of current was absolutely ridiculous. The guy doing the video said there's no way you can put a betta in there and that it was a stupid poorly thought out product.

So I'm taking it back, and I'm going to get the much more gingerly reviewed Fluval Spec 2 gallon.

FluvalSpecLifestyle4._SL285_.jpg

"But the Spec is $90, for that you could pick up a 10 gallon, aquaclear mini, hood and heater"

I know, but the Fluval spec is "cute"... and that's why I want it.

Thoughts?

As long as you have it cycled and parameters in check, I think a betta in the heated, filtered, 2g is fine.

I have one but I used it for a baby blue crayfish from a tiny little spec to almost 3". There was a reasonable flow, the pump on mine has an adjustment with a + and a - symbol so you know which way to turn it. It is still a little small in my opinion for a full grown Betta.

There just isn't much room to add decor and give the fish some "natural" type hiding places, rocks, DW, etc. I have a 2.5G Aqueon bowfront, also and a 5G Marineland bowfront, and a 5G Chi.

The 5G Chi has the Betta now. He was in the 2.5G for quite some time, but it also seems just a little small for DW, rocks or decos, moss clump, and plants, (also heater) which give the fish an interesting environment to live in. The 5 gal seems to me to be a great size for my Betta. I also have a temporary housing of 2 Albino Bristlenose Plecos and a couple different snails. Just added a baby Cobalt Blue Goby for a little while till it gets bigger and can go into the larger tank.

I got the 2.5G on sale for 25 new, the 5G Marineland for 20., the 5G Chi tank for 20 and they gave me the free 2G one like you got if I took the fish, those used. Just a thought.

I have one but I used it for a baby blue crayfish from a tiny little spec to almost 3". There was a reasonable flow, the pump on mine has an adjustment with a + and a - symbol so you know which way to turn it. It is still a little small in my opinion for a full grown Betta.

There just isn't much room to add decor and give the fish some "natural" type hiding places, rocks, DW, etc. I have a 2.5G Aqueon bowfront, also and a 5G Marineland bowfront, and a 5G Chi.

The 5G Chi has the Betta now. He was in the 2.5G for quite some time, but it also seems just a little small for DW, rocks or decos, moss clump, and plants, (also heater) which give the fish an interesting environment to live in. The 5 gal seems to me to be a great size for my Betta. I also have a temporary housing of 2 Albino Bristlenose Plecos and a couple different snails. Just added a baby Cobalt Blue Goby for a little while till it gets bigger and can go into the larger tank.

I got the 2.5G on sale for 25 new, the 5G Marineland for 20., the 5G Chi tank for 20 and they gave me the free 2G one like you got if I took the fish, those used. Just a thought.

I have no choice but to buy new because I will have credit (no refunds at this store) from the Aqueon Evolve 2 when I return it.

I have a Spec for my female betta and her snail friend. She's been in there for about 7-8 months(?) and she's looking really good. I think she likes it better than either the 10 or 3 tanks she's been in. It can be difficult to clean around in but it's not impossible. Also I do weekly changes of one and a half of my water pitchers and the water seems to be fine. Here's a picture of mine:
I need to put some water in but I just got home from family;)

The 2 gallon spec is aesthetically pleasing. You can view it from 3 sides and the footprint is small. Equipment is self contained aside from the light fixture which is pretty cool looking as well. Looks nice in a highly visible area (kitchen counter, built in shelf). Just throwing those tidbits in there because (unless you live alone) sometimes you need to to "sell" it to others sharing your space.

I almost went for the larger 5-6 gallon spec model but opted to go with a traditional setup (20g long) because of the more bang for the buck and because the tank is in a bedroom/office and not in the main area of the house.

Just an FYI...the Fluval Spec 2 gallon is on sale at my local Petsmart for $48. Might be worth checking out your local one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom