Fluval Spec Picoreef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuA c

Aquarium Advice Freak
M starting my first pico reef. I have ordered a par38 led bulb and a fluval spec. I have everything else, so once I get it, I'll start it up and post back here.

I just got my par38 so hopefully my tank on Monday.

They make great pico tanks I have 2 set up right now. Can't wait to see what you do with yours, have any ideas?

I want to use the stock led to make a refugium in the back.

That's a really good idea, i saw one where someone had made a skimmer for the back chamber, I only moded the lighting on mine. Are you planing you using to chaeto? What about live stock?

This is in reply to redsea's comment about Carey's pico tank. I don't c a Par38 fixture anywhere in that build. But I am anxious to hear more about this build involving a Par38. There r so many different ones being marketed and so many opinions about these lights. A cheap alternative to the much more expensive standard LED aquarium lighting would be great news

i got mine from led wholesalers for $60 (and amazon gift card for 20, so i only paid $40). i know, it was a great deal :)
My lfs i think has some cheato, so i think i will get a bit of that.
For stock, i have a little yellow clown goby that i think i will put in there. also, my 29 gallon has mushrooms, zoas, trumpet, hammer coral so i think i will take some from there. some cuc, maybe one snail and one hermit. i might get some more shrooms and polyps/zoas from one of my lfs.

That's the dim able one right? You have to reset it every time you turn it on right?

yeah, i just realized that the light will reset everytime. i email ledwholesalers if there is a trick to get it to come on with a different defualt, but they haven't replied to that yet. for now i think i will have to turn it on in the morning, then let a timer turn it off in the evening. then when i get home, i can override the timer and turn it on, change the settings to blue/white and turn it on again in the morning... which will suck. i might try and find a computer nerd who can hook a timer up with the remote, which would be sick!

I had a nanotuners (I think it was them) Par 38 bulb on my pico. In fact I ended up with 2 in the end running over my pico. I then used both the Par38's over my 20g for a short time. Great bulbs, dimmable is even better.

img_1870171_0_d145b4bb44ef88796327dfff85ba488e.jpg

img_1870171_1_414be8fb17cba982bfc71e627c31c0d1.jpg

img_1870171_2_85488218d43f5eb790f2cab276ac1bd5.jpg

Thts awesome! Yeah dimmables are great but I can adjust the amount by how close the bulb is to the tank. I think resetting the dim daily would be a huge pita...

I have my Spec set up. I used rocks from my other tank and black gravel it looks sick. I used the water from my other tank as well so the chemistry is good. I will do water changes with the other tank frequently to make changing corals around ezier. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Sorry I haunt gotten pics up yet. Maybe tomorrow. So far I love this little tank. It is awesome. I have a yellow clown goby and a blue legged hermit in there along with two mushrooms and two colonies of zoas and my trumpet coral. My blasto is rehabilitating in there after being attacked by my peppermint shrimp in my 29 gallon.
I highly recommend this tank for anyone who wants (and has enough experience) to do a picoreef with. It's a lot of fun and I love it.

img_1878309_0_4eedabc982adcea63e9659f183eb5f07.jpg

img_1878309_1_6bf702b3b2502dd64eb6dc92d97e8e85.jpg

here is the latest update on my pico.
first off, i love the fluval spec. great pico reef tank.
my stock:
yellow clown goby
sexy anemone shrimp
blue legged hermit crab
purple mushroom
that mushroom in the picture that if someone could id, that would be great
three different colored zoanthids
trumpet coral
pulsing xenia
my hurt blasto (hes getting better)
bumble bee snail

today i did an estimated 75% water change, added the xenia, shrimp and snail. i got tongs so that i can pic up fallen frags, great purchase for any pico reefer.
overall, the tank is doing great.

Nice pico! Those thongs will be a life saver. You may want to keep an eye on the sexy they can become Zoa munchers. I just pulled one out of my spec the other day. Oh and that trumpet looks great.

Back
Top Bottom