Fluval Stratum Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picked up a bag of Fluval Stratum (regular, not shrimp version) for an upcoming planted tank project. I've been reading that some people rinse the hell out of it while others recommend not rinsing at all.

Anyone with experience with this substrate, please chime in. To rinse or not to rinse, that is the question.

The stuff is God-awful! If you have not opened it yet take it back. It is fragile and breaks down quickly leaving your tank a brown "dusty" mess. I was cleaning the dust off of everything in the tank DAILY before I had enough and threw it in the garbage. You will be much happier with EcoComplete.

But to answer your question... Yes, rinse it but be very careful while doing so, as said it is very fragile. Your tank will still look like a mud puddle for a day or more so after it settles be sure to get your filters up and running with a lot of floss to help clear it up. Don't put any bio media in your filters until the water has cleared or the dust will just clog it up, use only floss. Your bio media (ceramic rings for example) will still get funky clogged very quickly from all the dust even after the initial mud puddle has cleared. Good luck.

Well I didn't open the substrate yet but I bought it from a LFS that just opened up and I want to support them. Plus it was a lot cheaper than ADA AS. I have some Floramax (similar to EC and flourite) that I plan to create an inch or two layer under the Stratum. This substrate really has mixed reviews... some people love it, while other hate it... I suppose I will just give it a go and see for myself (crossing my fingers).

Brian_Nano12g said:
Well I didn't open the substrate yet but I bought it from a LFS that just opened up and I want to support them. Plus it was a lot cheaper than ADA AS. I have some Floramax (similar to EC and flourite) that I plan to create an inch or two layer under the Stratum. This substrate really has mixed reviews... some people love it, while other hate it... I suppose I will just give it a go and see for myself (crossing my fingers).

It does have it's good points... It has a high CEC, it holds roots well once the plant has established, it is very soft so diggers will love it. But the cons far outweighs any pros... It is very light so until the plant can establish you will have floaters, also because it is very light it is difficult to vac, it is messier than plain old dirt and gets progressively messier with time, it is very soft so diggers will love it which only increases the mess.

I don't suggest mixing it with anything. Anything slightly rough (ala EcoComplete or such) is just going to act like sandpaper and break it down even faster.

They won't be mad if you return it. Give them the sale still and ask them to get you in a bag of something better. If they don't sell it their Fluval rep will give them a credit when they make their next order.

Back
Top Bottom