Foam & Shiny film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timxsi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently bought a new tank to house my forever growing pleco, neons and african dwarf frogs... whilst letting it stand for a week i noticed that after about 3 days there was foam on the top and a shiny film on top of the water. I really can't work out whats causing this as the tank has no fish in yet. The only suspect would be some bogwood? I removed this but the foam and the film seem to be coming back! I've used water conditioner and the filter is large and has 3 stages inc synthetic wool, carbon and some sort of rocks that the guy in the shop put in. The tank is about 50 L.

Please help!

Is your water conditioner one that contains aloe, or some other plant-based "slime coat" stimulator? Sometimes those can create a film on the surface if you are not extremely careful about the dose.

Otherwise I don't really know what it could be!

BTW, Welcome to AA! :mrgreen:

thanks, i've got the feeling i might have added that after the oil appeared to try and clear it. well it seems to have cleared up after a quick water change and 've introduced my tetras which are currently hiding under a plant looking petrified!

ok one of the tetras has just keeled over and died. back in the original tank they go! damn better get some advice from the pet shop tommorrow.

It may or may not have to do with the film. What are the water parameters? The tank is not cycled, being a new tank, so there is no beneficial bacteria to consume ammonia and nitrite. However, in this short amount of time I would be surprised if your ammonia had crept up to a dangerous level yet.

Still, it will be wise to measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, as your LFS will likely ask for this info. There may be something in the tank that is toxic, related to gravel or decorations, or a chemical used to clean the glass, perhaps.

Good luck- I really hope things turn around for you soon, here!

yeah im gonna see what i can buy to sort this out today!

Back
Top Bottom