Food Preference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Once I finally get some fish (my tank is cycling right now), they are going to need food. I am getting Cory Cats and a couple Dwarf Gourami. Are there any particular brands of food that are better than others? I would like to feed my fish a diet with variety.

Everyone has their preferences. The best way to go IMO is variety. Don't get 1 food and just feed that. Feed many different types of foods.

Everyone has their preferences. The best way to go IMO is variety. Don't get 1 food and just feed that. Feed many different types of foods.
i think tihs is key.

though i fed almost only foods from kensfish.com plus some frozen foods. i feed 4-5 different kinds of food a week though. he has a wide rage of foods at great prices. for example 1/2 catfish pellets for i think its $1.50

I feed my dward gourami flakes, micro pellets, frozen bloodworms, brine shimp, spirulia shrimp, mysis shrimp. And he is the ONLY fish that gets one or 2 freeze dried bloodworms a week. He has never been a picky eater, because he wants the food that everyone else is trying to eat. :)

So you guys don't worry about "some brands are good and some not so good"? When I was a kid, all the fish got to eat were flakes. I'm very particular about what my dogs eat (I make their food) and was not sure if fish had "good" foods and "bad" foods.

well if you want brands, my cories love the Hikari algae wafers. They like sinking shrimp pellets too. Don't know about the gouramis.

Thanks for the brand names - I have looked at the food section before, but sometime it seems a bit overwhelming when you are faced with a wall of food. This will help narrow things down a bit for me.

Lets see, our corys get algae wafers twice a week, shrimp pellets twice a week and I'm sure they get some of whatever the main fish are eating, which can be anything from flake, granules, frozen brine/bloodworms or freezedried foods. Corys aren't picky eaters. I like that you already figured out to give a variety, that shows you know fish have other needs. :)

As for brands, I use TetraMin brand dried foods, for frozen I use the San Francisco Bay brand of brine shrimp and blood worms. Now, for fry if I have a spawn, I use Hikari frozen baby brine. For algae wafers, whatever brand has the best price.

I rarely see my Cory Cats eat anything I put in the tank, which includes flakes, micro pellets, and brine shrimp. I'm not worried though; they've been living happilly for months and have bred.

IMO the size of your Cory Cat will determine their hunger. Mine are only 1".

Back
Top Bottom