found 28 random fry!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BNC = bristle nose catfish

Yes they are acting just like BNC sucking the netting. But to breed within a week?? whenever the two BNC are. war each other all they do is fight. weird.

Donkey Gun said:
BNC = bristle nose catfish

Yes they are acting just like BNC sucking the netting. But to breed within a week?? whenever the two BNC are. war each other all they do is fight. weird.

Could one have been kept with a mate in its previous tank?

Chiroptera said:
Could one have been kept with a mate in its previous tank?

Sorry my last post was supposed to say "near each other...".

Anyways, no chance of having a mate in the 10 gallon, these are the only 2 BNC I own. Or at least till now.... I think.

If you follow my 2 build threads you'll see that these 2 BNC used to live together in the 55. But then I decided to move one of them to my underwater jungle, the 10 gallon. It was supposed to be a business trip to help with some of the Algea I was dealing with at the time, but he loved it soooo much I left him there. Recently I decided to move him back, and now this...

There is also 1 upside down catfish in the 55. Is it possible the BNC and the upside down fish mated? There was more contact between the two of them that i witnessed. I saw what I thought to be a fight over territory when the BNC was first reintroduced.

I'm sorry there are soo many variables and incidents I'm having a hard time explaining... But They definitely look more like catfish for now. Time will tell.

Oh, I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner!

They probably are BNP fry, because like most catfish, the females hold their eggs to deposit, and the male fertilizes afterwards. So, technically, if the courting happened on the first day, they'll hatch within the week.

Also, pleco make great dads, and the fry shouldn't be removed from them from what I just checked up on with a breeder, but I guess it'll be okay since there were other fish in the tank.

Donkey Gun said:
Should I return them to the shell?

Not now that they're out. Just do your best, and see if one of the BNPs is poking out from under the shell. If there is, it's the dad, and if there's any more fry hell be guarding it, and leave it there. Since they're pleco, try getting some algae wafers and crushing those with a mortar and pestle if you have one later on.

Yea he's in there. I feel bad now.

I do have algae wafers. maybe I'll set up my 10 gallon for the family.

Donkey Gun said:
Yea he's in there. I feel bad now.

I do have algae wafers. maybe I'll set up my 10 gallon for the family.

When you move them to the 10g, put the shell in there and try reintroducing the dad, and hopefully things will fall back in place. I'm sure the fry will be fine either way.

Well hello fellow aquarium crazies!! It's been awhile since I posted anything on my build threads, so here it goes for my 55 Gallon.

Over the summer I lost the last 2 remaining telescope fish. One of them I was always having issues with and saw it coming the other was a complete surprise. She was fine one day, completely bonkers the next, and then dead. So the tank sat for awhile with just 2 BNC, 2 Loaches, and an upside down catfish. Until we found our new friend, Ollie Bebo III.

image-3570932579.jpg

I have also done some major re-landscaping.

Attachments

• image-1644357460.jpg
    image-1644357460.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom