Four Comets in a tall 150-gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldsGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I have four comet goldfish currently in a 55 gallon. The largest is now four inches excluding tail. Next year I wanted to upgrade to a permanent tank they can grow into. However I live in a condo. I saw a 150 gallon tall that would fit. 36"x36"x27" and wanted to see if this would make s good home. I don't have room for a 6' tank.

PetSmart has a 150-gallon with base for a reasonable price. Made by Top Fin. Anyone have experience with that brand?

Thanks

How old are the 4 of them now? It's not ideal, I believe the usual recommendation is 75 gallons min for 1 and an extra 20 after for each extra and while you fit mostly into that the strange foot print may play a factor, very few fish do well without that horizontal swimming space. I do not know a lot about comets though so can't be sure on this.

Either way it's def better than what you have now and depending on their age now and whether they've been stunted they may not reach their full size potential. Typically they do most of their growing in the first 3 years.

Hi. I know longer is better, but I don't have room for 6' tank. Although the 150 tall is 4' long it is wider than a typical 6' as well.
I have four and I've had them a year.
No issues, very healthy and largest is about 5" excluding tail.

Comets do need that horizontal space to cruise around and a 4' tank just wouldn't cut it imo.
I do realiz however that your aware of the potential problem and commend you for trying to upgrade for the benefit of your fish.
Did you ever consider rehoming them and getting some fancies? If not, i understand, I'm really attached to my fish as well.

Thanks. But basically it's only a difference 2' which I don't see how that would really affect them. And the 150 tall is wider do they would have additional swimming room front to back as well as vertically.
Rehoming isn't an option as I am attached and I really don't like the fancies. I like the comets as they are built like fish and also have less SBD than fancies.

2 horizontal foot of swimming space is alot! We may not think so but we're not 2"tall and 1'wide either. To those fish 2' is a BIG deal.
I understand how you feel about your fish. I'm pretty attachad to my sarrasa's and hibunas as well. No one can tell you what to do but most of the people on this forum will tell you a 4' tank is way to small for singletail goldfish regardless of how deep it is.

Thanks. That's why I put this here was to get opinions and also if anyone has experience with it

Yep, your welcome.
Unfortunately I've had plenty of experience in trying to keep goldies indoors in aquariums. I've come to learn that because of their larger than life bioload they're best suited for ponds. Nowdays only my fancies are wintering inside. Someday I'll have an indoor pond w/waterfall. Still trying to convince the wifey on that one!

Reactions: jlk
Wow u must have a big house lol

The local LFS I go to has one of those but stocked with koi.

Goldie keeping is subjective. People have a range of experiences. I think as long as we maintain water they aren't as particular as we think they are. Well besides the fact that any aquarium or pond still does not equate any natural habitat.

As long as we meet certain basic guidelines then I think our fish will live a long life.

But appreciate your opinion and advice.

Back
Top Bottom