FOWLR to Reef. Give me the real truth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had FOWLR tanks with good results for several years. I have good filtration, lights, etc. So theoretically all I need to do is to get rid of the non-reef fish and add the coral. That's the information that 90% of the aquarium forums dispense. The remaining 10% tell horror stories of spending thousands of dollars on soon to be dead coral and additional equipment. Supplements, trace elements, test kits for everything in the universe, calcium-CO2 injectors, and mystery food for the little critters. The list goes on. So what is the real story? With FOWLR I can go away for a week and have the neighbor kid feed them one or twice. I don't want to start a reef if it will turn into a monster that needs constant attention, feeding 3 times a day, etc. Thanks. R

Its no different from your FOWLR, Some people will tell you that a skimmer is necesary but I have gone skimmerless for a while now and its not had any appreciable ill affects. As with all things in aquaria keep up with your water changes and feed everything appropriate foods. I only feed my tank some marine snow once a week and the fish twice a day(although I'm sure they would do fine with once a day). I use an iodide supplement every other day but if you don't test for it I wouldn't use it. I would say that if you do your research and pick easy species you won't have to do anything you don't want to. Its alot easier then people make it out to be.

Considering there are corals/inverts at all ends of the spectrum in regards to hardiness, needs, etc. I would laugh when you hear any blanket statements about reef tanks. If you still want to remain easy, as mentioned above choose some nice hardy corals that do not deplete your calcium and you really can have a relatively maintenance free tank. I have a 30g tank setup for my parents that they only have to feed and I do water changes on it every two weeks.

Yeah, I'm pretty bad about testing and dosing anything in my reef...yet my 3 corals have all done great from day 1.

High light, stony corals are more difficult (they use more calcium, and may require trace dosing too), and if you decide to try an anemone, be prepared for it to not make it (it may live just fine, just accept it if he doesn't make it).

I think skimmers make reef tanks more stable, easier to maintain, but I'll agree they aren't 100% mandatory.

I don't think it's that hard/scary at all to bump from FOWLR to Reef.

May need to bump your rock amount up a bit, depending on what you have already in there. 1 1/2 to 2lbs per gallon is ideal for a reef. I agree, there are lots of easy corals that simple water changes and phytoplankton feeding occasionally will work just fine. Of course there are lighting considerations too. Otherwise, don't belive the horror stories IMO.

Eric Borneman's book, "Corals - Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History" is a favorite of mine to get a good overview and specific care requirements.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I just want a few easy, moderate light non-stony corals to add some dash to the tank. Thanks again Rick

I have a 130 watt PC over a 29 gallon with a 4" sand bed--so it's not too far from the substrate. Thanks

Sounds like a good setup for a reef. Start with easy stuff like mushrooms zoo's and leathers. Xenia is nice but you will have to keep it in check. Just do your research and take the plunge.

Yep, sounds like you have plenty of lighting. One thing to keep in mind is that mushrooms, polyps, and leathers are some of the hardiest of corals....but can also be the most toxic in terms of chemical warfare. You may want to add only a few select species (Eric Borneman's book has quite a bit on the toxicity of species) if you plan on adding LPS, etc. in the future.

Also remember that in a small tank you are going to be limited in space. corals need space and they will hurt each other if there too close. most shroon, zoos, polyps get along. Hammers, frogspawn, torches need there space.
So research before you buy...
Xenia is easy and a nice coral but can take over a tank so be careful with this one.

Thanks for the info.
The names of specific corals I should try and what you feed them would be great.
What do you use to increase circulation?? Most people just stick in powerheads, but they are ugly. I made a self contained closed loop system that is hidden out of sight. I took PVC pipe and made "Y" shaped manifold that is buried in the sand bed with the outlets protruding just above the sand. The pump is a large capacity powerhead hidden in the back of the tank with LR. I have two of these and they seem to work great. R

Sounds like you have plenty of light with 4wpg. You could easily be able to keep a wide array of corals including shrooms, zoos, blastos, frogspawn, .... Your setup sounds fine. The thing is that COULD do well with what you have. The fact of the matter is that it is addictive and the next thing you know you're adding things that push your limits and then upgrading your setup to accomodate :)

I am not up on all the intricacies of a reef yet but would it be safer to exclude leathers due to possible chemical releases? (i've heard it referred to as chemical warfare:) Though I have also read that keeping carbon in the filtration system will counter this. Please set me straight.

yeah any sarcophyton is a concern in that department and carbon should help. There is no silver bullet though and it is best just to keep compatable animals in your aquarium. If you are set on having leathers and lots of sps corals I would say get a big tank the extra water volume helps dilute any toxins and give each coral the space it requires.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom