Freakout or actually sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stitches

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a fish about a week ago (first fish) and he seemed healthy enough, but I noticed a spot on him. A few days later I saw another right above his gills. I was told he has ich, but I'm not sure because the spots look kind of gray or white, not sure because he moves too much to get a good look at him. I treated his water since I couldn't do it the other way. Am I overreacting? He seems fine, but then again this is my first fish.

Fish - veiltail male
Tank - in a fish bowl
Usually clean it every 2 days except right now because I'm treating him.

You need to cycle the tank first. "Cycle" means allow the good bacteria to grow enough to outcompete the bad bacteria. Bad bacteria is from rotting food and fish waste, and it produces AMMONIA which is (whats found in cleaning agents) toxic to sensitive fish even in small amounts. It takes about 3 weeks for the bacteria to build up enough to not poisin the fish. Otherwise, the water will stink, get cloudy, and burn the fishes gills and slowly kill them. Read up about the aquarium "cycle" and then once your tank is cycled, get more fish. The ones you have are pretty much gonners.
You will know its cycled by.....
1. Getting a test kit for water paramaters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
2. Brownish goo forms on the filter pad
3. Its been at least 3-4 weeks and the water is clear and smells "fishy" not like rotting food.
Once you read no ammonia, and there are NITRATES (not nitrItes) present in the water, it is cycled and ready for fish.

Thank you. How long do you think these fish got before they die?

It turns out the water wasnt in good condition, he's doing better today. He's no longer looking dead and staying only at the top of the bowl, but im still working on his water.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom