Free Bag 'O Vals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll probably have a bunch by fall too. They are completely taking over my 10g. I really want to figure out what the one plant you gave me is. It is grew like crazy while I was gone last week. It looks kinda like water hedge (didiplis diandra) but I don't think it is, looks very similar. You only had one stem of it in the package. It is just floating in the tank (got caught on some moss) and it grew about 4" while I was gone last week.

Heres a link to what it looks like (kinda):
Didiplis Diandra (Yes!)

I'll try to look harder tonight, but for now, here's the highly disorganized and incomplete list of plants that have passed through my aquariums:

Page title

I'm thinking either Mayaca fluviatilis or some species of Didiplis. I'll try to take a pic sometime.

Ug. Working so much overtime. I may not have time to do aquarium related research before October at this rate... (I just got home from work, left the house for work 13 hours ago.)

Hey just checking if dskidmore or meegosh have any vals to trade? :D I would like to rescape my tiny tank which has dwarf puffers and bumble bee gobies. I think the tall slender leaves of vals would look nice and provide a great hide-seek environment for them

For some reason they're not growing as fast as they used to. Perhaps I trimmed the roots too aggressively when replanting.

If I can get some time to do a trimming I can probably get you a bunch. I do have snails now after adding these vals to my tank. I did do a bleach dip but some eggs must have survived. I'm sure that won't be a problem for you since your puffers will take care of them. :) I'll shoot you a PM when I get some time to do some trimmings.

Did you get MTS, or just the little pond snails? I like having snails in my tank. They keep down surface algae and clean up dropped food. The MTS also stir my sand for me.

To be honest I've never tried to ID them. Most are small, like half the diameter of a pea. I do have quite a few (maybe 6) that are about nickel size. They do an amazing job at cleaning the algae off the glass. If I put one of the bigger ones in my 30g my clown loach finds it within 5 minutes and its a goner.

If I can get some time to do a trimming I can probably get you a bunch. I do have snails now after adding these vals to my tank. I did do a bleach dip but some eggs must have survived. I'm sure that won't be a problem for you since your puffers will take care of them. :) I'll shoot you a PM when I get some time to do some trimmings.

That would be great! Definitely let me know. Snails should not be a problem at all. In fact the puffers even pic at the snail eggs if they find them. Nothing gets by them. If it moves, they are curious. If it moves slowly, its a gonner.

If there are any more available that would be awesome if you could get me some. If they all are devoted to kaiofcanada then o well but if there are some more send me the rest.

If there are any more available that would be awesome if you could get me some. If they all are devoted to kaiofcanada then o well but if there are some more send me the rest.

Are you looking for plants E? I have a bunch I was gonna offer in classifieds.

I have three bunches (6-8 stems ea) of wisteria (hygrophila difformis), sunset hygro (hygrophila polysperma), a big handful of guppy grass (floating plant), and probably some micro chain sword.

Yes i would. But i need to wait a little while. I am setting up my 75g soon.

Well kai gets first dibs on what I got. If I have more, I'll gladly send you the rest. I am going to do a big rescape in my 10g to get the field of vals under control. The java moss in my 30g is also starting to take over again. It is not bright green like the stuff in my 10g but I bet it is just due to the stock lighting. I put the same moss in my 10g and it is growing nicely with nice green sprouts. The stuff in the 30g is a dark green and grows slowly.

Edit: Just saw your posting in the classifieds kai... I have some of the nana petite... dskid sent me two pieces of it. I never knew what it was until I clicked the link in your ad! It is doing nicely in my 10g, if I have enough I can send it too.

Last edited:
Woo hooo...finally a plant extravaganza!

I would be happy for a couple nanas and some moss. I am currently binding the moss to river stones and I really like the way it looks. I have around 3wpg in my puffer tank and 3.8wpg in my main tank.

So far I am not using co2 or a carbon source in the puffer tank, and hope that the vals will be fine without it. I know that excel melts them. If need be I have gotten good at making diy co2 setups. I might do that for the puffer tank.

Keep me posted Meegosh. Much appreciated. My 10g is obviously not very big so a couple bunches of vals should be more than enough for me. I am sure you could guestimate better than me what could look nice stocked. The rest please do feel free to share with ETunes :)

Hopefully I will get the chance to work on my tanks this weekend. If I do I will probably have them ready to ship out early next week. I'll shoot you a PM to get your info when I'm ready.

Back
Top Bottom