Fresh to Brackish to Salty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asudavew

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a plan... hopefully it's a good plan...

A little history.

Bought two fish at Petsmart. Didn't do my research first... I just wanted a couple bottom dwellers.

They were Silver Tipped Sharks. (STS)

Did some research on them.. after the fact......:butt:

Low and behold, they are born in freshwater, reside in brackish during the adolescent years, and then opt for saltwater in adulthood. (At least from what I read)

So back to the plan... I have a 70 gallon freshwater. (currently goldfish, but they will be moving to an indoor pond soon) After relocating the goldfish, I plan on adding the STS's to the tank and adding salt. (not sure what brand yet)

I plan on acquiring a refractometer do watch salt levels. Gradually, during the following 12 months or so, I plan on upping the salt level to a specific gravity of 1.022.

Along the way, I plan to add live rock, lighting, protein skimmer, etc.

Has anyone done this? And will it work?

It is either this, or get rid of my STSs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

You sure that their final resting place is salt and not just brackish? They also get upwards of 24" long soo the 70G not going to make them happy in the long run either, esp 2 of them.

I'm guessing 1.005 and 1.010 is where you want it to be.

What type of substate do you have? If you dont have sand or crushed coral you have have issues. Can someone else chime in on this?

I plan on switching over to sand after the goldfish are in their new pond.

Back
Top Bottom