fresh water community with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so i just used the API master test kit.
Here are the results.

pH is 7.0
High rang pH is 7.4
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 5.0
Nitrate is 80

I haven't had any fish loss. My plants seem to be growing quickly. The Lilly pad bulbs I planted are growing a a high rate of speed. When I left for work this morning there was only one stem about 4 inches high and when I just got home there was another one that is about 10 inches. I do about a 10 hour of light cycle. Have been doing about 20 gallons of water changes every third day and the nitrites and nitrites have not come down at all. There is a brown algae growing on my rocks and walls of the tank. Can't afford any more plants until I get paid again. Please more advice.

With a nitrite reading of 5PPM, I would suggest a large water change. Nitrite poisoning is possible to the fish at that concentration. The water change will also bring the nitrates down some. Keep testing your tank water, and keep the nitrites as close to zero as possible, through WC's. Once nitrites show up, you know your well into the cycle!! The brown stuff is diatoms. It is common in new tanks. It should clear up once the tank is well established. If it don't test you tap water for silicates. High silicate levels are usually the cause of diatoms.

With a nitrite reading of 5PPM, I would suggest a large water change. Nitrite poisoning is possible to the fish at that concentration. The water change will also bring the nitrates down some also. Keep testing your tank water, and keep the nitrites as close to zero as possible, through WC's. Once nitrites show up, you know your well into the cycle!! The brown stuff is diatoms. It is common in new tanks. It should clear up once the tank is well established. If it don't test you tap water for silicates. High silicate levels are usually the cause of diatoms.

Doing about 25 gallon water change now.

Here are the results.

pH is 7.0
High rang pH is 7.4
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 5.0
Nitrate is 80

I haven't had any fish loss. My plants seem to be growing quickly. The Lilly pad bulbs I planted are growing a a high rate of speed. When I left for work this morning there was only one stem about 4 inches high and when I just got home there was another one that is about 10 inches. I do about a 10 hour of light cycle. Have been doing about 20 gallons of water changes every third day and the nitrites and nitrites have not come down at all. There is a brown algae growing on my rocks and walls of the tank. Can't afford any more plants until I get paid again. Please more advice.

I recommend to keep doing water changes, even if that means daily or as soon as you can since you have to work. From here on out your water param goal should be: ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate 10-20. Anything above .25 ammonia or nitrite and 10-20 nitrate (IMO, some say 40 but I like to keep as low nitrates as possible) is poisonous to your fish.

Edited: at this point don't base your water change schedule strictly on any certain time. Base your water changes off of your water params. This will mean testing daily. With nitrate reading that high you may need to do back to back water changes, do a water change, wait an hour (some say 30 minutes is sufficient) re test and if your params aren't what they should be do another water change.

Here are the results.

pH is 7.0
High rang pH is 7.4
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 5.0
Nitrate is 80

Don't worry about the plants for now, lets get through this first. Do some water changes to get that number down ASAP. If you have to, do back to back water changes. Keep testing also. Believe me I know what's it like.

Just stay on top of it and you'll be fine. Plants can come later on. The brown algae could be diatoms which is normal.

Cool. About half way done with the first water change. Ill eat and shower then re test and post results. You all are very helpful thank you very much

Cool. About half way done with the first water change. Ill eat and shower then re test and post results. You all are very helpful thank you very much

Ok wait like 2 hours, try and relax lol. I know it's hard but your doing great. Re test and post results like you said and we'll take it from there. Go enjoy some food and a nice shower.

You've gotten great advice on lowering your nitrites. Since your tank is cycling all those nitrites are being converted into nitrates and will continue to do so at higher levels until you can get your nitrites lower and keep them lower. Just all part of the cycling process. So when your doing WC's to lower your nitrites you'll be lowering your nitrates also. It's a great two for one deal.

Off topic posts removed. Please keep the thread on track and on topic. Disagreements are ok and part of a healthy community. Personal attacks are not.

Thanks all!

Did about a 25 gallon water change and retested the water here are the results

pH is at 7.0
High range pH is at 7.4
Ammonia is at .25ppm
Nitrite is still up at 5.0 ppm
Nitrate is at 20ppm. (Down from earlier test)

It's too late tonight but try doing a 50% WC then wait a couple hours and do another one. This should drop your nitrites considerably.

Did about a 25 gallon water change and retested the water here are the results

pH is at 7.0
High range pH is at 7.4
Ammonia is at .25ppm
Nitrite is still up at 5.0 ppm
Nitrate is at 20ppm. (Down from earlier test)

Your gonna have to do another water change. I'd do a 50% one this time.

It's too late tonight but try doing a 50% WC then wait a couple hours and do another one. This should drop your nitrites considerably.

Too late? Have you read some of my threads lol. When I cycled my 55 I was doing water changes at 1/2/3am. My wife hated me lol.

Ill do another one tomorrow and post the readings before and after. Gotta work the 8-5 job and then give a kitesurfing lesson after work. I should have time on my lunch break to do the water change. Hopefully. If I'm not able to do it until after work is it going to be any different than doing it right now?? Plus I changed the carbon filters on the canister on Saturday it had been a month since I did them last.

Nothing is going to change but just so you know the longer the nitrites are that high the more damage the fish incur.

Ill do another one tomorrow and post the readings before and after. Gotta work the 8-5 job and then give a kitesurfing lesson after work. I should have time on my lunch break to do the water change. Hopefully. If I'm not able to do it until after work is it going to be any different than doing it right now?? Plus I changed the carbon filters on the canister on Saturday it had been a month since I did them last.

I've never used canisters, but with the HOB (hang on the back) filters your not supposed to change out the cartridges because that's where majority of your BB is. You take it away and your essentially taking all your BB away and once you replace with a new one your starting over and basically erased all progress your BB made up until the change, which basically starting a cycle from scratch from day 1.

I've never used canisters, but with the HOB (hang on the back) filters your not supposed to change out the cartridges because that's where majority of your BB is. You take it away and your essentially taking all your BB away and once you replace with a new one your starting over and basically erased all progress your BB made up until the change, which basically starting a cycle from scratch from day 1.

The exception to that rule is carbon- once it stops absorbing toxins it needs to be removed or it will release the toxins back into the water.

Back
Top Bottom