FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks beautiful! Makes me so envious! Some day...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. It took a lot of trial and error along the way. I gathered a lot of great advice from members/mentors on this site. It did not happen overnight. Read, read, read.
Go to the beginning of this thread to see its humble beginnings.
The addition of CO2 (DIY, then pressurized) was the turning point.
So pretty. Looks great.

Thanks! I like it.

Here's a short video (< 1 min) of my planted tank shortly after trimming. Enjoy. http://youtu.be/x-hSz3lpt0g

* oops...there seems to be a problem with the video. Please stand by...
* corrected: Note to self - use the URL tags and not the YouTube tags
Currently using an app called Capture to merge and post videos. It's basic and easy to use although I noticed it was buggy (would freeze) while changing music selections. Did not see this before upgrading to iOS 10.
I tried a few other freebie editors that had nice effects (transitions, etc) but they had water marks, logos, or the total video length was limited (30 sec). I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Very nice fresh im still battling bba in my mini m sucks tbats why no thread has been made ?

Awesome video fresh. I do love watching some of the professional scapes from start to finish then the after video at the end. This reminded me of one of those.

Awesome video fresh. I do love watching some of the professional scapes from start to finish then the after video at the end. This reminded me of one of those.

Wow, been over two weeks and just now getting to this. Thanks for the compliment!

Not much happening with the tank so I though I'd post a few pics. Glut spot treatments took care of most of the BBA that developed in the last few weeks. Same old same old.
Left side
b6E21NHh.jpg

Center
uJm8XYHh.jpg

Right side
h8OoOs5h.jpg

FTS
GzpXQuah.jpg

Looking nice, clean, and tidy! When did you add the Crypt? I like the contrast.

Remember when the crypt parva where in the tank? After I removed those, I was assuming that a few stray nodes were left in the substrate and those sprouted. However, these look more like crypt wendtii. They share the corner with some dwarf sag. Let's hear it for non-stem plants!
As always, time for another trim.

Your HC is growing like weeds! Mine seem to be struggling abit. Are they a slow grower? My growth in everything else is good.

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

HC is a slow grower. The only time I really see changes is by looking back at dated pictures. It is creeping along nicely.
It started getting "lumpy" (as a result of crowding within the patch). I've trimmed some of the peaks once; was yellowish underneath but a few weeks later you could not tell where I trimmed.
From what I've read is that ample CO2 is a must for them. PAR is in the medium range with a brief peak in the middle (61 for 4 hours; 61+45 for 1 hour; 45 for 4 hours).

HC is a slow grower. The only time I really see changes is by looking back at dated pictures. It is creeping along nicely.
It started getting "lumpy" (as a result of crowding within the patch). I've trimmed some of the peaks once; was yellowish underneath but a few weeks later you could not tell where I trimmed.
From what I've read is that ample CO2 is a must for them. PAR is in the medium range with a brief peak in the middle (61 for 4 hours; 61+45 for 1 hour; 45 for 4 hours).

Ahh ok my co2 would be 30-40ppm and my lighting is around 30 par ramping to 80+ over the first 2 hours then 80+ for 4 hours then ramping down to 0 over the next 2 hours

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

I am at it again…
oRkYHz5h.jpg
Removing the Limnophilia aromatica and almost all of the Downoi. Doing some rearranging and eventually clearing some space on the left side of the tank for more HC Cuba. The Staur repens needed some thinning out and all of the AR mini were pulled (only the tips will be replanted).
More pics to come…

Wow lol still looking good once it clears up. Hey fresh u have any experience with growing dbts on lava rock

Are your hands every truly dry?

Actually they are most of the time. I trim plants every 2-3 weeks. Swap out the floss in the filter once a month. Water changes weekly. Daily feed and ferts. Other than that don't spend much "tank time". There are days I don't get to the tanks at all due to work or other stuff. But I do enjoy maintaining the plants when I can.

Wow lol still looking good once it clears up. Hey fresh u have any experience with growing dbts on lava rock

It's getting there. Still clearing up but here's a sneak peek:
wmANy0jh.jpg
Still need to plant the HC Cuba. Here is one of the terrariums that I've been growing it in:
gY7lZ9fh.jpg

I've only planted HC Cuba in substrate. I've seen it planted on hardscape before. Not sure how well it would do since the roots aren't nestled in nutrient laden substrate.

I took a portion of HC Cuba from the terrarium (maybe 2"x3"), divided it into about 10 sections and planted those:
xkGrhq5h.jpg
Here is a close up. I expect to find several floaters by morning since I planted them directly into the substrate and not affixed to SS mesh. I made an effort to plant them deeply to offset this.
uhynYt5h.jpg

Water a bit hazy as of late last night. Before and after:
G34BLoGh.jpg
lE7VpCDh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom