FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the observations. I used the word "loosely" because I don't have the exact number and shape of rocks to replicate that look.
Agreed, the valley should emphasize the height on either side. The "high back" came from another yet scape (not pictured) that presented a central apex in between the groups of rocks.
Will try to get paint this morning and hopefully apply a coat before going to the movies (wife reserved some tickets for prime seats at a local theatre for the new Star Wars movie).

I think I see what you are trying to do RE the high back. I think it's hard to get a full picture because of the water line. You can't see the shallow depth of the substrate at the front glass that would probably have given a better perception. I know you'll get it right.

Spent a good deal of time arranging the rocks. Here are some examples:
1i2YbsFl.jpg
kVefXvdl.jpg
This is driving me crazy. I'm less concerned, at this point, in replicating that example scape. I just want to find something that has visual appeal. I need to read up on patterns. Dutch was so much easier.
The water is there to keep the remaining snails alive.

Omg you are making me crazy. Forget the patterns or what anyone else has done. Find inspiration there but then do your own awesome and amazing stuff that you love. Trailblazer...

Thanks for the suggestions and compliments. I went in a totally different direction. Here's a teaser. More pics later when the tank clears.
0pgsEf0l.jpg

Alright, thank you for your patience. A few hours later it was still cloudy so I added a flocculant (API) and the water turned milky white. It's better now so here it is:
Ejoje1Al.jpg
There is a slope and collection of rocks on the right side and in the valley a smaller group of rocks. Yes, EcoComplete is supposed to be black. This is the stuff that usually gets kicked up when I remove plants. I may do a series of water changes to vacuum out the debris. The new canister (SunSun) won't be here for several more days and my small internal filter is not working. The AC50 that was on the tank is on the temp tank.
Next, I plan on inserting the plastic substrate supports to help keep the slopes in place. I'm taking a plastic cutting board, cutting it into half credit card size pieces and pushing them into the substrate. Then the planting will take place.
Hope it was worth the wait!

Looks good. There is a great article on rule of 3rds and doing Iwagami layout, you probably already read it. I will see if I can find it.

I like what you did.

Maybe you need some more stones???

A couple other things is to use some stones under the ones which are visible to give height and stability.

Alright, thank you for your patience. A few hours later it was still cloudy so I added a flocculant (API) and the water turned milky white. It's better now so here it is:
Ejoje1Al.jpg
There is a slope and collection of rocks on the right side and in the valley a smaller group of rocks. Yes, EcoComplete is supposed to be black. This is the stuff that usually gets kicked up when I remove plants. I may do a series of water changes to vacuum out the debris. The new canister (SunSun) won't be here for several more days and my small internal filter is not working. The AC50 that was on the tank is on the temp tank.
Next, I plan on inserting the plastic substrate supports to help keep the slopes in place. I'm taking a plastic cutting board, cutting it into half credit card size pieces and pushing them into the substrate. Then the planting will take place.
Hope it was worth the wait!

You nailed the right side. The left does look a bit bare but it depends what your plans are for this side. On the whole it looks better than all of the previous attempts. Should look great when planted.

Thanks for the links and feedback. I skimmed the pics and the scape you mentioned is very pleasing and challenging. I need to remember that these are end results of established scapes.
I know that I wanted a slope. And avoid symmetry at all costs. I took the largest rock (that particular one I actually found in my backyard when I was growing up) and used several newly acquired rocks to support it. If anything, the grouping reminds me of the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, VA. Not sure if I will keep the corner as the apex; I might slope it so that the highest substrate point is where the rocks are.
A single rock plus fragments in a counter direction make up the left side. Yes, plain but I did not want it to look to busy.
Good news: the once dead internal filter is working. I stuffed it full of polyfil and it has cleared a lot of the mulm. A least I will have some circulation until the canister arrives.
I swapped heaters with the shrimp tank and the one in this tank will be jet black.
I plan on planting the carpet plants and hooking up the CO2 today.

I was able to plant some HC Cuba:
bYs0LMvh.jpg
I only used 1/4 of the HC Cuba I pulled out of this tank. There are still places that I can add more. I do want to leave some space for a few of each: downoi, AR mini, staur repens, pogo, and ammania bonsai. The rest I'll probably sell along with the remaining HC Cuba.
Hooked up the CO2 and started dosing. Need to put in the heater and continue planting [emoji271]

I was able to plant some HC Cuba:
bYs0LMvh.jpg
I only used 1/4 of the HC Cuba I pulled out of this tank. There are still places that I can add more. I do want to leave some space for a few of each: downoi, AR mini, staur repens, pogo, and ammania bonsai. The rest I'll probably sell along with the remaining HC Cuba.
Hooked up the CO2 and started dosing. Need to put in the heater and continue planting [emoji271]

Sounds good. Never used it but love the look of ammania bonsai. Have you used it before?

Sounds good. Never used it but love the look of ammania bonsai. Have you used it before?

Yes. I the pic below it is behind the AR mini. I got it 3 years ago with the AR mini from an AA member named Old Scales. Hardy plant, it survived a 9 day transit in the dead of winter. It is a slow grower and l like that.
Just trying to figure out what will go where.
The HC Cuba patches are tied to 1"x1" stainless steel screen mesh squares. Individual and small group plantings never seem to stay (unless I did a dry start).
G34BLoGh.jpg

Ah yes I see it. I didnt think it got that tall. Guess it needs work to keep it small. People use it as a carpet I believe?

What about a dip/valley in the center between the stones? Lower starting in the front and meandering through the rocks with a bit of an "S" path curve/shape to the taller back area, but still lower than the sides in back, slightly.

It looks nice. And as mentioned and you know, it will grow in and look so very different and cover up the rocks to a large degree.

Back
Top Bottom