FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good! It's the one regret I have with my tank is the lack of hardscape. If I was do doing it over again I'd plan out a hardscape with rises etc. makes it so much more pleasing to look at. Maybe next year I'll upgrade ;)

I must say u nailed the Dutch style in your tank currently though. It's given me a lot of motivation and inspiration of the last 6 months ;)

Can't wait to see what you come up with :D

I got some rocks in the mail!
gja8uZnl.jpg
Petrified Stone
wzRxXFKl.jpg

Box was HEAVY. Thanks AutumnSky!!!

As soon as I can start unloading these plants. Super cheap. Practically giving them away: crypt wendtii, bacopa caroliniana, Ludwigia species red, fissidens fontanus, dwarf sag, some AR mini/reg.
I also have a ton of subwassertang to rehome. I need room in the holding tank for the fishes.
I think I won't be using the driftwood. I need to clean it: BBA covered, it's also got two types of moss and HC Cuba attached to it.

As soon as I can start unloading these plants. Super cheap. Practically giving them away: crypt wendtii, bacopa caroliniana, Ludwigia species red, fissidens fontanus, dwarf sag, some AR mini/reg.
I also have a ton of subwassertang to rehome. I need room in the holding tank for the fishes.

I'm sure someone will snap them up! So limited here in Aus with plants. Due to the QT laws I can't even order them from the mainland (I'm in Tasmania). Very frustrating!!

I should really set up a grow out tank also as I throw out handfuls every week. Such a waste and I'm sure if I struggle to get good plants here then there would be a big market for them down here ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My current hurdle is the plants. I need the subwassertang out of the QT so I can move the fish into there. Then there are the plants that will not be included in the new scape. An LFS will take plants for a 20% live stock purchase coupon. Which does me no good since I hardly buy fish. I might submit a post in the classified section. Practically a giveaway.
Anywho, I have extra EC in a plastic bin and I have been using that to figure out how to position the rocks. Once I determine the right layout, I'm going to mark the stones with a pencil and snap a pic. That should reduce setup time.
Here I am practicing:
ogCbtPjh.jpg

Looks good! Remember if your using reds in your scape to only use them in 1 section to draw your eye to the most pleasing spot of the scape (best viewing angle etc)

I've been doing a lot of reading on aquascapes laterly and there is a lot that goes into it!

I won't say to much as I know by your old Dutch theme that u know what your doing ;)

Can't wait to see the final result! Staying tuned for sure!

Using a mesh bag or panty hose with some kind of pea gravel will help raise that center rocks will also help with using less substrate.

@bert - thanks for the red/focus tip. I have not factored the stone color into the layout (yet).
@king - I may put field stones under the visible stones for the reason you mentioned. The scape will slope towards the back. I'm thinking about putting stones along the back as well. Or a sand filled capped and sealed length of PVC. I'm looking for a solution that will not lead to an anaerobic situation.

@bert - thanks for the red/focus tip. I have not factored the stone color into the layout (yet).
@king - I may put field stones under the visible stones for the reason you mentioned. The scape will slope towards the back. I'm thinking about putting stones along the back as well. Or a sand filled capped and sealed length of PVC. I'm looking for a solution that will not lead to an anaerobic situation.

I wouldn't use pvc, it's a really bad algae collecter and due to the slippery nature the substrate tends to fall away from it and not pile very well. I've found this with most plastic to be honest. However if u have fish that don't sift substrate it might work? I'd say river stones or field stones would be the go. Just make sure there in a sand or fine gravel base so they don't put pressure points on your glass.

The clearing has begun...
6P5RLCFl.jpg
A bunch of plants have been removed. Tank was cloudy for a bit but it settled quickly. Driftwood is coming out next. It might go in the shrimp tank.
The QT tank has been cleared out to make room for the fish:
lr3dlPCl.jpg

Making progress!

Looking good! I'm excited to see how it all turns out. Seems such a shame to tear down such a nice tank though :( RIP

Looking good! I'm excited to see how it all turns out. Seems such a shame to tear down such a nice tank though :( RIP

It is yet another step in the evolution of this tank. Roughly 4 years and over 2,500 posts later, this tank has gone from fish only to low tech to high tech. Time for a change.

Wow, been an interesting series of changes, progress and growth!

Congrats on making a new change. Always scary for ME to see you do it when you have such a lovely tank. LOL! I love to watch the changes, and it just takes a little bit and it looks awesome again!!!

It is fun to be along for the ride. Nearly 4 years!?!?!

Eagerly awaiting the newest design!

Here is my tank back in December 2012. Single T-8 17w bulb. Moss tied to rocks. A few struggling plants. The substrate (EcoComplete, black, regular grain) is the same stuff I currently have in the tank today.
uMuLyaN.jpg

Wow, can't believe how things have changed. Did you have a build thread at that time or is that an older picture from before this thread started?

Back
Top Bottom