FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
500 mL Prime and 2 CO2 diffusers arrived today. Hooked up the Fluval diffuser and waited. And waited. And waited. Went away for a few hours and its fizzing like alka-seltzer.
4LWlCrE.jpg

I later moved it under the filter output and now the fine mist is flowing in the current.
Phosphate kit. CO2 indicator due on Thursday and Glut and dry ferts on Monday.
Happy New Year!!

Those fluval diffusers may not win a beauty contest, but they sure can produce a fine mist for the price. I have two of those myself.

Those fluval diffusers may not win a beauty contest, but they sure can produce a fine mist for the price. I have two of those myself.

True. I am trying to hide it behind some DW. I also picked up a glass diffuser as well. Not sure of the brand or manufacturer.

First the good news: Fluval ceramic diffuser works fine with DYI CO2.
Now the bad news: Bubble counter could not take the pressure. Prior application of DYI CO2 allowed the air exiting the bubble counter with little to no back pressure. After adding the ceramic diffuser, the pressure in the DYI bubble counter was too much and it cracked open in a few spots. I knew something was odd when I checked on the tank and saw no bubbles and smelled yeast.
vdD1psF.jpg

Then again, the bubble counter container is a 20+ year old Erlenmeyer flask and rubber stopper. Need to create a new one out of an old juice bottle until I can order one. Do not like the idea of yeast with direct access to the display tank.

Yikes with the DIY bubble counter. I used the Fluval bubble counter for my DIY setup. Thought it look cool, was relatively inexpensive, and was one less thing to worry about in terms of leaks or failing.

Yikes with the DIY bubble counter. I used the Fluval bubble counter for my DIY setup. Thought it look cool, was relatively inexpensive, and was one less thing to worry about in terms of leaks or failing.

Yeah, when I was ordering the diffuser and other stuff I was one click away from getting the Fluval bubble counter. The new separation chamber is a 2 L plastic juice bottle.

Yeah, when I was ordering the diffuser and other stuff I was one click away from getting the Fluval bubble counter. The new separation chamber is a 2 L plastic juice bottle.

Yikes x2...it gets better...not!

The 2L plastic bottle (interim bubble counter/separation chamber) had swollen with the additional pressure to the point where I thought it would explode. Still no bubbles from the diffuser. I looked like a football. I could not sleep because I envisioned the plastic bursting sending water throughout the cabinet and electrical plugs and the drop of pressure would cause the CO2 generators to spew the yeasty water solution all of the place. So I removed the diffuser and slowly depressurized it. Hooked it up to the HOB. This all tool place between midnight and 5 AM EST. I'll try again when I get a real bubble counter. :(

Then again, the bubble counter container is a 20+ year old Erlenmeyer flask and rubber stopper. Need to create a new one out of an old juice bottle until I can order one. Do not like the idea of yeast with direct access to the display tank.

Imho there's less to worry about yeast getting into the DT than many people think. Yeast is everywhere and on everything and is constantly falling into your tank. It won't hurt anything

Imho there's less to worry about yeast getting into the DT than many people think. Yeast is everywhere and on everything and is constantly falling into your tank. It won't hurt anything

Probably so, however, the yeast culture is pretty concentrated with the amount of sugar present. I would rather not introduce it into the DT more than necessary.

I have also heard of adding salt to the bubble counter / separation tank to inhibit the transfer of the yeast culture to the DT. Anyone else heard of this?

I am going to purchase the Fluval bubble counter because it is designed to handle pressure and because of its small size. Much smaller than a 2L bubble counter.

I have also heard of adding salt to the bubble counter / separation tank to inhibit the transfer of the yeast culture to the DT. Anyone else heard of this?

I'd like to know, too. This is the first time hearing about this concept. Might even try using glut as you would in preventing mold in a macro ferts mix. I hate having to clean the diffuser from that fungus cloud that develops over the ceramic disk from yeast culture.

I'd like to know, too. This is the first time hearing about this concept. Might even try using glut as you would in preventing mold in a macro ferts mix. I hate having to clean the diffuser from that fungus cloud that develops over the ceramic disk from yeast culture.

Glut? I did not even think about that. Good suggestion. I have a gallon of it arriving on Monday. Besides, salt in the bubble counter might result in salt rings and crust.

With the Fluval ceramic diffuser is it normal for the plastic CO2 generators to swell up (a lot)? I have no idea what the burst rate is for an 2 quart Ocean Spray fruit juice bottle in terms of psi and if the back pressure of the diffuser will even get close to that limit. Not sure if Gatorade bottles are any thicker. I want to use the diffuser but I don't want to stress out about bursting plastic containers.

LOL The NSA may have to check you out for an I-mprovised E-xplosive D-evice.
OS.

Eh, I'm sure they already have my browsing history.

Seriously, I was tossing and turning each time I heard the plastic jug make a popping noise as it was expanding.

Since I am running it into an extra HOB filter, I may take out the bio media, leave the sponge and put layers of floss media over that to catch all of the CO2 bubbles. Not the most efficient reactor, but if it extends the bubble retention time then that is fine with me.

Oops... meant to say glut in the "micro" mix... anyways, I haven't had any problem using the fluval diffusers with DIY. They do take a long time to start going as the CO2 had to accumulate enough working pressure to get through the fine pores. Are you using a check valve? Maybe you accidentally installed them backwards in the line? That would definitely make your CO2 generator swell.

Oops... meant to say glut in the "micro" mix... anyways, I haven't had any problem using the fluval diffusers with DIY. They do take a long time to start going as the CO2 had to accumulate enough working pressure to get through the fine pores. Are you using a check valve? Maybe you accidentally installed them backwards in the line? That would definitely make your CO2 generator swell.

Oh, check valves are in the right direction. System worked fine in low pressure as I have it currently (very little back pressure as it is fed into an HOB filter intake pipe). I am concerned about the long term effects of carbonic acid on the impeller.

I do wonder what the CO2 absorption rate is when injecting into an HOB filter intake versus a ceramic diffuser versus feeding it into a power head or small pump. I figure the most effective use of a yeast based system would be with the least amount of pressure ( a lot of gas is required to build up the necessary pressure) combined with a reactor of sorts to maximize gas-liquid contact time.

The glut and PPS Pro ferts arrived today. Need to get a scale that measures in grams. Going to use my empty Excel bottle for storing the diluted glut.

Back
Top Bottom