FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks awesome, especially the AR. Mine is downright abysmal right now.

Thanks! At one point the regular AR was growing rapidly and I had to trim it frequently. Nice healthy growth. But it took a turn and right now its hanging in there. I mean, there is red growth but it's very slow. And the older leaves are algae magnets. Blood red Ludwigia sounds like a suitable alternative.
On a good note, the BBA and stag horn have been gone since I've been adding glut. It's diluted 50:50 with DI water. I dose ~10 mL/10 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Like the before and after shots. When you trim, do you leave the mother plant alone or take it out and just replant the trimming or a combination of both? Just wondering.

For the most part, I leave the mother plant where it is and replant the trimming. I do that with all of the plants in this tank. However, I think the base can only produce so many new stems before it becomes "exhausted". That's why I removed all of the AR mini and started with just the the healthiest specimens.

Thanks! At one point the regular AR was growing rapidly and I had to trim it frequently. Nice healthy growth. But it took a turn and right now its hanging in there. I mean, there is red growth but it's very slow. And the older leaves are algae magnets. Blood red Ludwigia sounds like a suitable alternative.
On a good note, the BBA and stag horn have been gone since I've been adding glut. It's diluted 50:50 with DI water. I dose ~10 mL/10 gallons.

Yes I LOVE the red ludwigia I have. I could send you some later if you pay shipping.

Thanks for the offer. Impressive color. Space is tight right now. If the AR does not work out I will let you know.

Yeah and when you let fish know then let me know about your regular ar's...lol. I need more red height. I had red ludwiga and it didn't do good for me.

Yeah and when you let fish know then let me know about your regular ar's...lol. I need more red height. I had red ludwiga and it didn't do good for me.

Pm sent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No updates/pics this week. Been busy remodeling a bedroom (Brookster...don't know how you do it...it's very hard work). Spent 2 min in front of the tank in the last 3 days. Weekend without food or ferts :(
Plants are still growing. Pogo going strong...soon I will be able to trim and replant as I create a pogo forest. I saw a "tinge" of BBA, which is great compared to what I am used to seeing. Time to mix up a new batch of macros (sans the nitrate). Hopefully pics later this week.

No updates/pics this week. Been busy remodeling a bedroom (Brookster...don't know how you do it...it's very hard work). Spent 2 min in front of the tank in the last 3 days. Weekend without food or ferts :(
Plants are still growing. Pogo going strong...soon I will be able to trim and replant as I create a pogo forest. I saw a "tinge" of BBA, which is great compared to what I am used to seeing. Time to mix up a new batch of macros (sans the nitrate). Hopefully pics later this week.

It takes me 5 minutes to get out of bed in the morning haha, nahh, you get used to it.
Hows the ar doing after the replant? I feel like they sulk a but while the new roots grow in? I'm about to mix my pps too, what did you tweak to get the phosphates up? I know it's simple I just want to get it right.

Is it your house your doing up Fresh?? The hard work will be worth it once its done

I was sore this morning. It's my house. A little older and we knew that we would be working on upgrading each room. Wife's take on it is "Why do home improvements for the next person that lives there when you can do them while you are living there?". Meaning, if you are going to upgrade to make it nice, do it now so that you can enjoy it. I agree.
AR mini is doing okay. Not better, not worse. I figure there might be a post transplant setback. Sending out a lot of new roots. Some of the curled leaves are still curled. I still have all the old AR mini floating in my pond.
I will have to check my notes on how much extra phosphate I added to the macro bottle. My next mix will most likely be the standard mix and MAYBE a little extra phosphate. Right now things are fine so I don't want to mess with it.

Not sure if this pic belongs here or the pond thread. Anyhow, the AR mini I removed from the tank looks nicer than the ones remaining in the tank (which btw are gnarly/curled up). The temp fluctuations have been from the low 50s to the 70s. Yet the AR mini are growing below and above the water's surface in the upper section of the "pond" along with Bacopa caroliniana and dwarf sag (which tolerate the winters in VA).
QzFEVAT.png
The planted tank is in cruise control; weekly water changes and daily ferts with the occasional trim.
I might be posting a thread in the classified section. If I trim the star repens I will have 100+ stems to sell. Which will help fund the new light for the shrimp tank. Leaning towards the sat+ because I already have a FugeRay and planted+; something different.

The dwarf sag in the pic in the previous post are the oval green leaves at the surface and not the long strap like leaves (spiderwort?).

The ar on top looks really nice!! Interested to see how far it goes up towards the sun.

Interesting! Yeah, the AR mini clippings I got from you are curly and holey and look very "dry", even under water. It could be my fault as I haven't given them any root tabs yet. I was waiting until my new piece of DW was done soaking because I'm going to have to move the AR a bit to accommodate it. Maybe they like the cooler temps of your pond?

Probably they like the increased lighting time provided by the sun

I know during the heat of summer they would do fine out of water under the lily and lotus leaves (shade). In direct sun they would burn up. Now that the temps have dropped, they are doing better emerged. And being out of water CO2 is be more available to them.
I would clip off the nice parts and bring them in but I think I suck at growing AR mini. OS did a great job with them. Had the ferts dialed in right under T5 HO. Bright red perfect leaves.
Anyone wants them (the ones in the pond), let me know. Pretty sure they are NOT winter hardy here. Might as well find them a home before the temps drop and they die off.

Update! Just did a big trim. Water is still a little murky. Here is the before and after pic:
LySfMdg.png
I removed the moss wall. I can see the back of the tank now.
Here is where the trimmings went. Not sure what I'm going to do with them.
iuCLKGg.png

fUJ8RKb.png

Close ups! Downoi, Ammania bonsai, Rotala wallichi, and the wretched AR mini:
MLV6Bvl.png

The over grown star repens carpet. It's about 3x taller than I prefer.
EknTY5k.png

Little pogo forest
M66NSHD.png

AR trimmed and only the tops were replanted
Xbfevet.png

One more FTS:
c6gQ8zB.png

your S repen looks so healthy! what's your water parameter ? pH kH and Gh?

Looking good, Fresh! All your plants are looking healthy. Is that a rimless bow front?

Thanks! The trim was long overdue. The moss wall had to go because it kept getting into the filter intake (which I have not seen in months due to the overgrowth). It started growing into the stem plants and created shading below. It took over a year for that stuff to grow along the back wall only to have me rip it off in a few seconds.
Nah, it is a 6.6 bookshelf tank from Petco that I got years ago. It does has a bow front though. I thought about setting it up as a shrimp tank at one time but the acrylic/plastic is a bit scratched up in the front. Oh, I removed the rim just for the pic. For now its a holding tank. The 24" width makes a nice footprint with potential.
I need to do inventory on the plants in the holding tank so that I can sell them or give them away. I have Ammania bonsai, Rotala wallichii, AR, Bacopa caroliniana, java moss, and bladderwort. The last one is a nuisance plant that arrived as a few strands from a shipment I received 4 months ago. I grows rapidly as a leafless tangling mess and reminds me of a tumble weed. As the name implies, it has bladders that trap very small organisms. I think it is related to UG.

Back
Top Bottom