FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Fresh, shrimp tank looks great! I remember you posting a picture of a feeding frenzy on some zucchini. Well I tried the same in my tank and 24 hours later the shrimp and snails have hardly made a dent. How long do you boil your veggies before tossing them in?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

I microwave the slices for about a minute. And then into a ziplock bag (stored in the freezer). I later cleave off a slice, microwave for 10-20 seconds and then into the tank. It is still a little firm and it takes at least a day to soften up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I microwave the slices for about a minute. And then into a ziplock bag (stored in the freezer). I later cleave off a slice, microwave for 10-20 seconds and then into the tank. It is still a little firm and it takes at least a day to soften up.

Could you microwave for about a minute, let cool then into tank?

Could you microwave for about a minute, let cool then into tank?

That should be fine. It won't take long for it to cool.
Here is an update the to cholla wood + moss. Not exactly sure on the moss type. Flame? Maybe but it has been growing sideways and not upward:
UUGeDwk.jpg
Really don't have room for them though.
On the left side of the tank I glued some moss to the large piece of DW (super glue leaves a white residue). On the right side I added a large piece of DW as a base and topped it with some moss as well. Hopefully I'm done with this tank. Decór wise, that is.
spJfKKn.jpg

Did you say you don't have room for something? :D

Oh did I say that?
Why YES I did. I think it's flame moss growing out of the slots because now the fronds/stems are starting to lean upwards. and they are not branching at all. Some subwassertang got mixed in there somehow.
I wanted to see what would happen if I did this and now it turned out like I thought, so I don't need this anymore. I mean, this tank filled up real fast. PM me.

Been a few weeks since an update: I shipped off the 24/7 Finnex for servicing/replacement (issue with remote control?). In the meantime, I placed a single 23w 6500k CFL over the left side of the tank: "Half-lit"
saqRGESh.jpg
Some close ups of the new moss on the most recent DW addition. Moss is taking hold.
NjeObHGh.jpg
DjZWfVgh.jpg
Shrimp are doing fine and very colorful (not sure if it's because how they looked under the 24/7 or because of environmental factors). The only thing missing are berried females. Prior to the rescape I would find at least one berried shrimp every 1-2 weeks. Have not seen any since the rescape. I know they bred in the holding tank because I found pretty small juvies in there. Not sure what the deal is.

I have found after tank overhauls a bit of time for the tank to mature before they start reproducing again. It feels like about the time I give up looking for them they pop up!

The Fissindens is really stunning.

Sorry to hear about the light. I am considering needing another light for my big one - 72G and was looking at that type light. As well as another of the Current USA. Hmmmm.

I like the setup you got here. Is this low tech?

Got some new RCS from a local fish club member who was breaking down a tank. These are VERY red, even considering they going through acclimation. I counted at least 1 berried female out of the group so hopefully the breeding will resume.
A pair of stowaway endler fry were included as well.
9hc8FW4h.jpg

Those are awesome looking!!! Really nice bright color!

Are you letting them mix with the other more pale ones?

It was a very good deal and worth the short drive into the city.
Yes, they will "mingle" with the commoners. Not really picky on mixing. It's not like I'm adding blue or yellow neos in there.

Saw some baby shrimp today! At least one of the new shrimp was berried; several have saddles.
I'm concerned that the growing planaria population might be a problem (I started a new thread on its removal).
Nuisance hair algae still a problem. I'm thinking that I may have to switch from 24/7 mode to a custom low light setting (on a timer). I did not realize how bright it got for a few hours in the 24/7 mode. Discouraging since I like the subtle hues late at night and early in the morning. Or I could beef up the surface plants (for shade). Hmmmm....

I have my 24/7 on 40% and it works pretty well. If you like the hues and don't want to give them up, maybe you can move the light to your high tech build. As you mentioned, more surface plants could be an option.

Overdue update on the shrimp tank. The Fenbendazole eradicated the planaria. Die, worms, die.
A few months back this tank featured Fissidens fontanus with some subwassertang. The fissidens initially grew well but recently growth is not as green. Same with the red moss; it has faded a bit. On the other hand, the subwassertang is doing well. Have been battling green hair algae on the subwassertang, red moss and fissidens. I end up removing chunks of moss while pulling out the hair algae.
In this pic the hair algae is apparent despite weekly removal.
[URL]http://i.imgur.com/K9q0Qbvh.jpg[/URL]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#454545][FONT=UICTFontTextStyleBody]There is a very thin layer of Petco black sand but with the moss you really cannot see it. Ample hiding spaces for the shrimp; perhaps too many. There is Malaysian DW throughout the tank, however, it's covered in moss. I want to change this around and open it up a bit but not sure how I want to go about this. I'm not interested in doing a deeper substrate to supported rooted plants. That is what it was like for the first 2.5 years. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited:
I would leave it, it looks good and I imagine you have some very happy shrimp.

I would leave it, it looks good and I imagine you have some very happy shrimp.

All of the shrimp display tanks I've seen had a decent amount of substrate and less moss.
Not sure if they are happy. My stock has not bred in several months. Added some new shrimp about a month ago. I've seen some babies but the planaria were running rampant at the time. Hoping there is an improvement in this area.

Very nice. I wana try subwassertang

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

When I first got it, it broke up into numerous fragments. It was a big mess. After a few months a few pieces grew into decent sized clumps.
Try it. One thing I've heard is that it is not a fan of Excel/Glut.

It's feeding time!
Ac7CYfFh.jpg
F6zCfMZh.jpg

Pulled a bunch of hair algae today. Removed ALL of the floating plants in an effort to remove the spawn of Satan also known as duckweed.

Back
Top Bottom