FresH2O's Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This tank has a base of moss covered driftwood but you'd never know that with the guppy grass gone wild. It is probably ideal for other low light plants.
But first things first, I would have to catch all of the shrimp. Fortunately, nothing is rooted into the substrate (if you can call it that...1/4" deep black sand) so EVERYTHING can be lifted out of the tank. Then the party starts...

Naw I wouldn't want to ruin the cozy accumulation of aufwuchs. Give the baby Rainbow fish lots of foods to nibble.

If you don't capture all the shrimp the Rainbows might get some treats too.

Do what you want. Enjoying the tank is the name of the game. You aren't married to one idea. Broaden the horizon. Try again - get what makes the heart happy. They are really pretty too!!!

Almost a month since an update.
I pulled out most of the guppy grass from my RCS tank and yellow neo tank. I can see the shrimp again. Now I'm left with a small pillow sized bag of guppy grass. Might bring it to the LFS for credit. Which is kind of a waste since I rarely buy fish. IMG_3427.jpgIMG_3430.jpgIMG_3431.jpg

Wow - that's a big clean out! How are the shrimp going now? I can just see them blinking in the light.

With the java fern starting to fill over the front of my tank to create a tunnel, I've noticed the bumblebee catfish coming out more (hates the light).

Shrimp are fine. Previously, when I dropped food in there it would barely make it to the bottom. At least now I can get a better idea of how many berried females are present and when hatching occurs.
Interestingly, the underlying moss and subwassertang appear to be fine after being smothered by the guppy grass.

Some random pics to revive this old thread. Shrimpies on a branch.
NYkjxbe.jpg
eLB62c9.jpg

Got some new LED lights. Not as bright as the single fluorescent strip but a lot more aesthetic.
IMG_4477.jpgIMG_4484.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4477.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Update on the shrimp tanks. Cleared out a bunch of guppy grass. Lots of swimming room now.
ro7RfE0.jpg
qrJKeYs.jpg

Breeding is so-so. Hardness and TDS a little higher than I’d prefer.
20g RCS: GH 11, KH 5, pH low 7.2-7.6, pH high 7.4+, TDS 279
6.6g Yellow Neon: GH 12, KH 6, pH low 7.6, pH high 7.8-, TDS 273
Tap: GH 12, KH 7, ph low 7.2+, pH high 7.4, TDS 249 (higher than usual)

It always happens. I just brought a gallon size ziplock bag of plants to the LFS for a store coupon. Then get a message from someone looking for low light plants and willing to make monthly payments for all of my trimmings. Oh well.
Just happy to see the shrimp. Dropped in some broccoli ? for a treat.

Beautiful tanks and skrimp! The guppy grass you sent me has exploded, so has the duckweed, but minus having to remove some nearly daily I like the duckweed, my endlers agree.

Beautiful tanks and skrimp! The guppy grass you sent me has exploded, so has the duckweed, but minus having to remove some nearly daily I like the duckweed, my endlers agree.

Awesome! Very easy and functional plant. Glad you found use for it.
As for the duckweed, you need to buy a duck.

Update: I decided to divide my shrimp tank; red cherries and neon yellows need to be separated. I purchased a pair of foam tank dividers for the 20g long from Flip Aquatics. Foam is 2” thick and the density is 30 ppi. I also bought some SunSun 160 GPH water pumps (ended up only needing one) from Amazon. I had to remove a ton of subwassertang to create the space in the center of the tank. I am using the dividers as an HMF (Hamburger Matten Filter). This should provide a large amount of surface area for biofilm for the shrimp. Flow rate can be low with this type of filtration.
Tank is divided into 3 sections IMG_5798.jpg
The center section contains the pump, plumbing, and extra bio media from the HOB filter. I stopped using a heater a few months back as the shrimp tolerate lower temps (mid to upper 60s F)
B4I9DyY.jpg
The plumbing consists of 1/2” ID vinyl tubing and 1/2” elbow and Tees. No HOB filter hanging off the back.
Tthp8bN.jpg
Shots of the left and right sides:
fNvccDd.jpg
1fBK2X5.jpg
Now I need to start catching and separating the shrimp.

Last edited:
Nice ! I really like how the divider is the filter also...And so adjustable for flow ! You could easily build any size with any flow needed...
NICE !(y)
I may have to try this ....:whistle:

The tank dividers are essentially the same as the HMFs for the same size and porosity, but without the air lift tube, hole, and extra cost.
HMFs are really underrated. Very little maintenance needed. Not for every tank though. Those that are too wide might present a problem with the foam not staying upright. Might not be ideal for a very heavy bioload. For my needs, they are shrimp safe, provides a food source, biological filtration (and eventually, nitrate reduction), and acts as a divider.

Back
Top Bottom