Freshwater clams.... who has had them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mine died quickly

and made a mess of my tank. No reason why either. All my shrimp,snails and fish did fine. I am tempted to try them again, I like the idea of them

I like them. I had one and it was cool watching it open up and dig it's way into my substrate. Unfortunatly it died for unknown reasons. I kinda want a few more and was thinking of puting a few in my filter (a filter in a filter? SWEET!) Not good with loaches though, my friend tried that and his clown loach just went to town on the poor thing.

I know that the main 2 complaints are that-

1) You dont know when they die if you dont check them every few days, so your ammonia can spike.

2) They starve.

I think I can handle #1 by checking them, and #2, I will only have 2 clams in my 30 gallon tank. This, along with 2 snails, 10 shrimp, and 3 cordys will be my cleanup crew. That should leave enough for all of them.

I have had zebra mussles in my shrimp, snail tank. The ghost shrimp devestated them. I dont know how such a little shrimp can have the power to open the shells but they can. I think I may have a couple of live ones left since I moved the ghost shrimp to another tank..the algae and cherrie shimp dont bother them. Will be getting some more in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom