Freshwater Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have to say I love my new fish store even though it's thirty mins away still love it. :)
I saw some freshwater clams in the store this time around and was wondering if anyone knew how to take care of them?
They were so cool lookin
Thanks!

phoenixkiller said:
Hmmm... google it. i have not taken care of them myself, but the world wide web has EVERYTHING.

Yes, but sometimes the web lies ;) Plus it's easier to ask lol

from what i read is they dont get enough food in an aquarium and can live up to a year basically just dying and then they die and you have no idea and it clouds up the tank. thats just what ive read.

Clams are filter feeders. The larger the tank, the better their chances of survival will be. They'll also do best in a planted tank. Some say they never see theirs, and some say they do see them and they are really cool. I've also heard reports of them dying in the substrate and badly fouling the water, creating a real mess. Like filter feeding shrimp, I would recommend supplementing with foods designed for filter feeding inverts, such as OSI micro foods and liquid phyto/zooplankton.

I did a little research too after seeing them online as live-aquaria. From what I saw, it seemed like they were actually hard to care for and that most usually starved to death in the typical aquarium.

Basically made it sound like a fun challenge for those who are really into fish-keeping. But for those looking for minimal mantenance, they seem to pretty much be a "stay a way".

I've read all the same stuff and ultimately I decided not to get one, but the threads in various forums I've read from other hobbyists actually keeping them are mostly favorable.

Back
Top Bottom