Freshwater Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at Pets @ Home last week and saw they had crabs - In their proper setup too, however they only had them listed as "Red Crabs" I didn't bother asking what type of crabs they were as the woman serving me was just dopey as can be so didn't waste my breath. These crabs were bigger than vampire crabs but at closer inspection seemed to have the same coloured backs that vampire crabs have and were also listed 2 for £7 which is a great price as we all know how expensive vamp crabs are, which makes me think maybe these are a different type like Red Claw or something. Anyway, I was just wondering what you all think they could be and if they are red claw then do they require the same needs as vampire crabs, do they get huge?

Hello,

If they are Red Claw Crabs, they shouldn't get too big (Maybe around 4-5 cm). Their nature ranges from fresh to brackish so I recommend a salinty of 5-15 ppt.

When you say salinity, is there a certain salt that I should buy, or will any old aquarium salt work?

Ahh ok. I think i'll just wait until I find more vampire crabs, I know what those lil things require lol

Back
Top Bottom