Freshwater die off in 37 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrodrig234

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had too many fish in my tank and am hoping this is simply a rebalancing in my tank.
I had the following:
18 Cardinal tetras
6 black skirt tetras
1-female betts
6- hatchet fish
3-platies
1- swordtail
8 guppies(4 males)
3- cory's
Snails
Glass shrimp
I lost 1 platy, 3 cardinals, 3 female guppies, 1 hatchet fish.
All the water parameters remain fine.
Did I just over populate? Will it end once the fish are at a good number?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What do you mean by "water parameters are fine?"

How long have you had all these fish in the tank together?

When was the last time you added new fish?

Sorry I tested my water and the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia were all fine. The water hardness is high which is common for Chicago. I added the swordtail last Monday(2 originally but took 1 back because it had fungus on it's mouth and body). I have lost about 2 fish a day. The cardinal tetra this afternoon had red bruising on the lower half of the body and the female guppies left in the tank look like they have wasting disease. Andy thoughts?

Did you quarantine?? One sick fish can wipe out your entire stock, regardless of test results.

I think mudraker was looking for actual parameter numbers, not just "they're fine". The more info you provide, the better assessment can be made of the situation. How much water is being changed per week?
As previously mentioned perhaps a recent purchase introduced something. QT is always a good idea. Better to have something get sick and die in the QT than spread something in the main tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry I tested my water and the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia were all fine. The water hardness is high which is common for Chicago. I added the swordtail last Monday(2 originally but took 1 back because it had fungus on it's mouth and body). I have lost about 2 fish a day. The cardinal tetra this afternoon had red bruising on the lower half of the body and the female guppies left in the tank look like they have wasting disease. Andy thoughts?

How long was it in the tank? With some diseases even if the carrier is removed it can spread...

Caleb

I'm from Chicago too I bought a fish from a petco it had some disease a day after I got it he started spinning like crazy and it got these white patches on it. ended up dying and all of my other fishes ended up dying the same way it Didn't stop until every single fish died

Over stocking will not cause fish death if you are able to keep up with water quality.

Likely some disease is spreading in the tank

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

What do you consider fine for the parameters? Are you testing or the lfs?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm from Chicago too I bought a fish from a petco it had some disease a day after I got it he started spinning like crazy and it got these white patches on it. ended up dying and all of my other fishes ended up dying the same way it Didn't stop until every single fish died

Columnaris with a fungal secondary infection.

Caleb

Columnaris with a fungal secondary infection.

Caleb

Oh there you go I was trying to remember the name of it. I treated the tank with a gram negative antibiotic I forgot what it was called but it was a little too late only one fish ended up surviving my zebra loach

Sorry for your fish loss. You should just move forward at this point and consider starting all over.
How were your water change habits? I'm reading too much about parameters and nothing about water changes. Water quality is crucial for the fish health.

Oh there you go I was trying to remember the name of it. I treated the tank with a gram negative antibiotic I forgot what it was called but it was a little too late only one fish ended up surviving my zebra loach

Zebra loaches are one of my favorite fish. Glad he made it lol.

As to the person who started this thread, sorry for your losses :/

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom