Freshwater fish for my 20 Gallon Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello.

I have a 20 gallon tank, that I was going to originally going to use for my breeding guppies, but upon talking with someone, I was told that I can keep my 6-12 breeders in my 10 gallon tank.

Anyway!

I'm looking into getting a couple of Parrot Cichlids, maybe a cory catfish... something like that.

I'm wondering what type of different, freshwater fish are good to keep together, in a 20 Gallon tank.

Also, how long do Parrot Cichlids live?

What about Mystery snails? How long do they live?

if you plan on having a lot of fish tetras are small and most of them tend to get along. Parrot fish are good, not sure how long they live. Two of those in a 20gal tank would be enough.

cories need to be in groups preferably 6 or more. you could do pandas, skunk, bronze albino...

parrot fish need to be in a much larger tank than that. Corys are good, as well as most small community fish. Paradisefish or small gouramis would work. A pair of rams or other dwarf cichlids would work also but should be planned out carefully.

^ Yep, a 20g is much too small for a parrot

You should definitely get a school of cories, they are a perfect bottom dweller for a 20. You could also get another school of small fish (tetras, rasboras, micro fish) and a centerpiece like a dwarf gourami.
What types of fish are you thinking of?

Corys are good ( I have Panda and Pepper corys), maybe get some Amano shrimp as well, they clean everything lol Tetras are cool as well, they brighten up the tank.

Back
Top Bottom