Freshwater newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brittleskittle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I'm Brittany. I just started my aquarium a week ago and my pH is at 8.4 :eek: I have used pH down and it's having zero effect. I just used it a few hours ago. I have 3 live plants, a betta, 6 neon tetras, 2 ghost shrimp, a zebra snail and an African dwarf frog. All the creatures are doing fine, it seems. I will not be adding more pH down because I belive I've added the max for one day. I also have a small bubble rock, filter and heater. It's all very well proportioned and it's only a 5 gallon! The betta minds his own business and is thriving! The tetras will swim around normally and then next time I look they will be all together in a corner or under the filter. Their colors are fine except for one and the store employee said he thinks it's pregnant. But it has lost color since I brought it home with the others. So, my question is, how do I get this 8.4 pH lowered to about 6.5? I've heard about driftwood, peat moss, and almond & oak leaves, but I do not want to stain my water. And one more thing, my water is very hard according to the chart. Thank you in advance and I hope I provided enough info!

~Brittany :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom