Freshwater puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forester

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone I told my brother on his birthday that he could pick out a couple of fish for one of my tanks, so we were looking online and he saw a puffer and decided he really wanted one. I've never kept one before so I need advice. At the LFS they have 2 amazon dwarf puffers that are kind of expensive so I would like it if I only had to get one. I just need to know what to feed them and if they need any special attention Thanks for the advice.

Puffers are best kept alone. They need crunchy foods, such as snails, to keep their beak from over growing. They are kind of high maintenance fish from what I've read, so I'm waiting until I'm more experienced and have the right tank before I get a puffer.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I heard that they are best keep them alone, or with other dwarf puffers, so I don't think that will work adding one to your tank, this is what I found:
You must have a back up tank for them in case the going gets rough if you add to a community tank; In my opinion, they should be kept in a species tank. The Amazon Puffer can be a fin nipper

What size tank are you going to put it in? Amazon puffers get about 5" full grown so it would need a 30-40g atleast full grown IMO. You'll want to have good filtration as well. A 20g might be ok for awhile with good filtration for 1. If you get more than 1 you'll want 30-40g for sure. Also be prepared it may not eat flake or pellet food and might require frozen or live foods. Try frozen bloodworms.

Go ahead and move the Tetras or any other fish in the tank because a puffer will not play nice.

Edit: After doing some reading it looks like these guys prefer groups so that might be something to consider. I guess you could try one and if it's shy and nervous you could add a couple more.

Last edited:
Forester said:
I'm getting 2 that are one inch long on Sunday and I'll move the tetras when necessary. Thanks

Necessary will be immediately. Those tetras will be first on the menu.

Bettababe1011 said:
Puffers are best kept alone. They need crunchy foods, such as snails, to keep their beak from over growing. They are kind of high maintenance fish from what I've read, so I'm waiting until I'm more experienced and have the right tank before I get a puffer.

Feed them snails is unnecessary, but a good thing to do. Yes it wears down their teeth but amazon puffers don't seem to have a problem with it like other puffer species. If I was getting puffers I'd throw say 4 pond snails in a small jar. Although you don't need to feed them snails it's fun to watch them hunt the snails down. If your going to get puffers, a well planted tank with a sand substrate is needed. And although they are small you need 5 gallons per puffer. 2-3 females is best with every male. So just getting two puffers isn't the best, they'll be aggressive towards each other. You should purchase 3 online, they are cheaper this way and they can determine the sex.

Dylan5359 said:
Feed them snails is unnecessary, but a good thing to do. Yes it wears down their teeth but amazon puffers don't seem to have a problem with it like other puffer species. If I was getting puffers I'd throw say 4 pond snails in a small jar. Although you don't need to feed them snails it's fun to watch them hunt the snails down. If your going to get puffers, a well planted tank with a sand substrate is needed. And although they are small you need 5 gallons per puffer. 2-3 females is best with every male. So just getting two puffers isn't the best, they'll be aggressive towards each other. You should purchase 3 online, they are cheaper this way and they can determine the sex.

I was giving general puffer advice that I knew because I don't know much about the specific species.

i dont get why people are saying tetras will be first on the menu. i kept all kinds of tetras with pea puffers before without much trouble. the only damage i see is occasional nipped fin. snails r necessary and quite enjoyable to watch peas attack it. also, i wouldnt suggest getting two peas. get an odd number of them to reduce aggression.

rucka said:
i dont get why people are saying tetras will be first on the menu. i kept all kinds of tetras with pea puffers before without much trouble. the only damage i see is occasional nipped fin. snails r necessary and quite enjoyable to watch peas attack it. also, i wouldnt suggest getting two peas. get an odd number of them to reduce aggression.

Dwarf puffers are a gamble. Some will instantly attack inmates while other will accept them. But for the tetras safety take them out first.

I understood Amazon Puffers to be the same as South American Puffers...not Pea Puffers. These get bigger than Pea/Dwarf Puffers and need more space. They also need snails to keep their teeth filed down. Pea puffers don't need them. They may be ok with Tetras for awhile but make sure you keep an eye on them.

Do you know if these are truly Amazon/South American puffers or Dwarf/pea puffers?

If you can't find more info on this site be sure to google what you are getting to know how to care for them.

I have a South American Puffer PEZ Globo or also known as the Peruvian Puffer in a 75 Gal tank. His name is submabee he is about 2" and happily lives with Discus, Angels, Tetras, 2 Plecos and a ton of cory fish. I just bought a small tank so I can get dwarf puffers I will let know how they re doing. Regarding these unique fish & their behavior I would like to say that most Puffers have a bad reputation but I Tend to disagree with all the bad stories about then. Puffers just like Discus & Angels like clean water and a variety of foods as long as you feed them enough I would say at least twice a day they should not need to compete and get aggressive towards each other or other fish. My Puffer comes directly from the wild Amazon river and the only he has attacked is my self that only happened because I accidentally spanked him while cleaning my tank. Good luck to you & enjoy these rewarding fish. Buena Suerte!

My puffers are eating flake food! There really cute at just one inch long they're the kings of the tank except for the gourami cause when they try to mess with him he messes with them. Thanks for all the advice they are really cool.

I have 2 new Amazon puffers (1 inch). These guys are nothing like the Green Spotted puffers that I used to have. They were bought to help with my snail colony that I started for the Green Spotts that I lost. I bought one at first and he was looking a little lonely- not eating really well. Not attaking my fish (Mollies and Goby's) nor was he attacking my snails or ghost shrimp. So I went back to the lfs a couple days later and grabbed another one. They were $20 each so definately not cheap. I googled them and read these ones are not your average villians. They are actually shy and gentle. After about a week Thing 1 is now hunting very small snails. Thing 2 is still a little stressed but did start eating frozen food (haven't noticed him eating any snails). They are insepperable. My plan is to move these guys through my now snail infested tanks over the course of the next several weeks ending in my 55 gallon that I am making a South American tank. Hopefully they will live with my colony of German Blue Rams. If I thought these guys would damage the rams there is no way I would put them in, but these guys just are not those kinds of puffers.

Good luck- Julie

I have a South American Puffer PEZ Globo or also known as the Peruvian Puffer in a 75 Gal tank. His name is submabee he is about 2" and happily lives with Discus, Angels, Tetras, 2 Plecos and a ton of cory fish. I just bought a small tank so I can get dwarf puffers I will let know how they re doing. Regarding these unique fish & their behavior I would like to say that most Puffers have a bad reputation but I Tend to disagree with all the bad stories about then. Puffers just like Discus & Angels like clean water and a variety of foods as long as you feed them enough I would say at least twice a day they should not need to compete and get aggressive towards each other or other fish. My Puffer comes directly from the wild Amazon river and the only he has attacked is my self that only happened because I accidentally spanked him while cleaning my tank. Good luck to you & enjoy these rewarding fish. Buena Suerte!

Have fun with those dwarfs. I thought about getting some Pea Puffers. My lfs has had them in for some time (just not selling) . But they are too small for me- most of my snails are bigger than them. I did read that these little guys are your typical puffers. Good luck :D Post some pics when you can. Julie

Hello, just wanted to show you guys a pic of EL CABALLERO PEZ GLOBO he is a nice well behave south america puffer non aggressive living in a Discus community tank.

Attachments

• image-2751632730.jpg
    image-2751632730.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3557115353.jpg
    image-3557115353.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3620184617.jpg
    image-3620184617.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 91
TibsKitchen said:
Hello, just wanted to show you guys a pic of EL CABALLERO PEZ GLOBO he is a nice well behave south america puffer non aggressive living in a Discus community tank.

This is a beautiful fish!!!

Back
Top Bottom