Freshwater puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon long freshwater tank and I wanted to get a pufferfish(es) in it. Any suggestions or ideas on what kind I can put in a 20 gallon freshwater?

Look up dwarf puffers! They're tiny but really cool. I think they might be the only true freshwater puffers but don't quote me!

There are also small ones like green spotted and figure 8s but I'm pretty sure their brackish if not full salt water.

I like you're idea of them though, puffers are such interesting little guys.

Look up dwarf puffers! They're tiny but really cool. I think they might be the only true freshwater puffers but don't quote me! There are also small ones like green spotted and figure 8s but I'm pretty sure their brackish if not full salt water. I like you're idea of them though, puffers are such interesting little guys.

Green spotted will outgrow a 20 gallon :)

I'm actually going to stay tuned on your thread.

I want to add some dwarf puffers to a 20 gal long but deff need more info. So if you don't mind I'm going to pop in and see how things are looking out :)

I'm actually going to stay tuned on your thread. I want to add some dwarf puffers to a 20 gal long but deff need more info. So if you don't mind I'm going to pop in and see how things are looking out :)
ok hope you find useful information. And thanks for the previous info

Although i don't have a dwarf puffer (also called Indian Dwarf Puffers) tank myself, I've been very interested in getting one in the 10-20g range. This is some of what my advice would be:

Firstly, don't keep them in a community aquarium, although you may have a chance with 1-2 ottos or a few females in the community. I've actually witnessed them (wasn't sure which gender) nipping at cherry barbs in a Petco, and that was in the 30 seconds i was watching them. So pretty much, keep it a species specific tank. Also, I would only do one or two males in a twenty, as they can be very territorial/aggressive towards each other. Even though they reach about .75-1.0 inch at max, it is recommended to keep it to about 1 for every three gallons, so that means 7 maybe 8 in a 20. Also I highly recommend setting up a snail farm ( can be just a few gal.) of either MTS (Malaysian trumpet snail) or ramshorns, as snails are must for these. The MTS and ramshorns are recommended because the reproduce very fast ($5-$10 for 50-100 MTS). Also, it is hilarious to watch the puffers eat snails (just Youtube it). Another food would be blood or black worms, and some can be trained onto flake. Finally, DO NOT make this a brackish tank, as these are %100 freshwater, despite what a few places will tell you. They are freshwater.
Hope This helps!!

Although i don't have a dwarf puffer (also called Indian Dwarf Puffers) tank myself, I've been very interested in getting one in the 10-20g range. This is some of what my advice would be: Firstly, don't keep them in a community aquarium, although you may have a chance with 1-2 ottos or a few females in the community. I've actually witnessed them (wasn't sure which gender) nipping at cherry barbs in a Petco, and that was in the 30 seconds i was watching them. So pretty much, keep it a species specific tank. Also, I would only do one or two males in a twenty, as they can be very territorial/aggressive towards each other. Even though they reach about .75-1.0 inch at max, it is recommended to keep it to about 1 for every three gallons, so that means 7 maybe 8 in a 20. Also I highly recommend setting up a snail farm ( can be just a few gal.) of either MTS (Malaysian trumpet snail) or ramshorns, as snails are must for these. The MTS and ramshorns are recommended because the reproduce very fast ($5-$10 for 50-100 MTS). Also, it is hilarious to watch the puffers eat snails (just Youtube it). Another food would be blood or black worms, and some can be trained onto flake. Finally, DO NOT make this a brackish tank, as these are %100 freshwater, despite what a few places will tell you. They are freshwater. Hope This helps!!
ok thanks for all the useful information! Are there any kinds of puffers that get bigger that I can house in a 20? And can I just have a goldfish bowl of snails and how do I get them to reproduce? And how often do they need to eat live foods like snails?

Look up dwarf puffers! They're tiny but really cool. I think they might be the only true freshwater puffers but don't quote me!

There are also small ones like green spotted and figure 8s but I'm pretty sure their brackish if not full salt water.

I like you're idea of them though, puffers are such interesting little guys.

yes both greens and 8s are brackish

The bigger freshwater puffers that can live in a 20g for a lifetime are usually solitary fish (does not like other tankmates) and lurkers at best. You won't see much activity for these kinds of fish unless during feeding.

Amazon/SouthAmerican puffers are another kind of puffer species that are highly recommended to live in groups, so they are not likely suitable for a 20g.

Dwarf puffers is what I will recommend for your tank. Post if you are interested in other types of puffer.

Pest/pond snails is the easiest snail to breed. For a goldfish bowl, add a few snails with a bubble stone and heater. Change the water once weekly and you can add any kind of food source (i.e. fish flakes, pellets, lettuce)

You definitely need ramshorn/pond snails for them to wear their beaks down in their mouths. I believe another name for the dwarf puffer is pea puffer and I have had some of them and if you had a group they would definitely have to be alone. Try are like all puffers and very aggressive. There is also a fahaka puffer that is freshwater and has an awesome personality, but the only fish I have been able to keep with the 5 inch one I had was a full grown jack dempsey male, and even he got the crap kicked outa him. I had to get a tank just for him to have because of the extreme aggression. I have never seen another fish as mean as puffers get.

Fahakas are the 2nd largest freshwater puffer, max size of ~18inches and requires 120+ gallon tank. Same level of care and absolutely recommended to leave this puffer as the lone fish in the tank. This fish will kill tankmates. All other care procedure is similar to DPs, except feeding amount and frequency.

Back
Top Bottom