FRESHWATER Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
can i add live rock to my fresh water tank that was already in a saltwater tank or will that cause problems? i also have live sand as well

Well the life on marine live rock and live sand probably can't thrive in salinity as low as that in freshwater.

If you add it all the bacteria that was on it will die and then freshwater bacteria will make it live rock again.

Homer8 said:
If you add it all the bacteria that was on it will die and then freshwater bacteria will make it live rock again.

So does that mean that I can add both? Even if is just for decoration?

harryggumb said:
So does that mean that I can add both? Even if is just for decoration?

If you don't clean it well and allow it to dry completely you will have a die off and huge toxin spike. You also need to get all the salt out of it. It will also raise your pH and keep it quite high.

blert said:
If you don't clean it well and allow it to dry completely you will have a die off and huge toxin spike. You also need to get all the salt out of it. It will also raise your pH and keep it quite high.

Thank you I think I'm better of just starting from scratch. I have a 6g tank and all media that I used for saltwater. Would I be able to reuse it for freshwater??

Depends on the media. Bio-balls you can just clean off. Floss, sponges, pads, ceramics, chemical media and such I would recommend just replacing. Make sure to clean everything very well with vinegar to get all the salt out.

blert said:
Depends on the media. Bio-balls you can just clean off. Floss, sponges, pads, ceramics, chemical media and such I would recommend just replacing. Make sure to clean everything very well with vinegar to get all the salt out.

What about my filter that's been running sw and my heater??

harryggumb said:
What about my filter that's been running sw and my heater??

Will be fine. Make sure to clean well with a vinegar solution. Get all the salt and crud off. To clean the filter internals just fill a bucket with a vinegar solution and run the filter on the bucket, with no media in the filter, for a few hours. Rinse and repeat with fresh water. Rinse again.

Back
Top Bottom