friend for clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darron863

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was thinking of getting another clown but wasnt sure if they are aggressive towards each other currently i have a maroon and (he or she) dont know how to tell the difference has been in the tank now over a year and his buddy the tang died a few months ago and he doesnt seem to like the new tang as much so thought he might like a new buddy.

I have a gold stripe maroon and a tomato clown in a 125 and they fight all the time. Maybe it will take some time to get use the other tang.

ime, pairing maroon clowns is fairly difficult. they are just mean to any new tank mate. there are ways to get her used to it tho. if you get one half her size and young enough to still be a male, it will likely stay the male since the one in the tank will be larger. float the bag, acclimate in the bag, and when he is fully acclimated, use a breeder box to float him in. if she doesnt attack him while in the breeder box, you might be ok. even when you 1st put him in, shes likely to attack, just make sure that it doesnt get too nasty. keep a careful eye. does she have an anemone? if so she will be most aggressive near it, trying to keep him out. moving it might help a bit. rearranging rockwork might help too. good luck!!

The best buddy for a clown is a suitable anemone. Maroons will host in many different anemone species. Although anemones are much tougher to keep alive then the clownfish.

she already has a anemone she has been with for over a year. she would follow the tang around before it died and now she spends most of her time in the anemone and i miss seeing out swimming its like she is lonely and she shut her self in the house. she does come out and eat out of my hand though.

Back
Top Bottom