Frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StyleUK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

Does any know about FW frogs for tanks? Also I would like to know where I can get them from, i'm in the UK so any online shops or if anyone from the UK has any ideas, please help :).

Oh yeah, and what sort of tank do I need? Will my setup I have now be okay?

there are african dwarf frogs -- most fish shops here in the US have them i'm not so sure about the UK tho :(

anyways the frogs are real neat to watch, especially during feeding time.. they are great with community fish and seem to be very tolerable of most other fish (i do have them with some ghost shrimp and two crabs they get along nicely)

The setup you have now will be fine for 3-4 H. curtipes, the African dwarf aquatic frog....just make sure you have some floating plants for them to rest in.

floating plants? and crabs wow!!!

Where can you get freshwater crabs from? and the floating plants im really into frogs and crabs, thats the reason I braught a tank but I did'nt have enough money for saltwater at the time :)

Where about in the uk are you from? I live in rugby in the midlands and there is a place near me called fish are us, they had freshwater frogs there for £3.55. i think they were albino frogs bloody weird but cool.
They also had small crabs loads of them on a peice of bog wood, fantastic things but when i asked they assistant about them she said that you have to keep them well fed or they nip the fish :?

website is below its not a good website though. they also have shops in wellingborough, oxford and sutton coldfield

http://www.fishareus.co.uk/[/code]

I live about about 6 miles from wellingborough, I go there pretty much 3 times a week lol, never knew they had a place like that there, When I do go next week, i'll have alook for it :) thx for your help

This might sound stupid, but i've actualy been to "fish 'r' us" :S, its called something else, but I looked on their website and saw the pictures, and I've been there lol, that time I was only looking for fish, but if I go again I'll have alook for frogs. I saw there crabs and they have some great ones :D!

There are also those albino frogs. They get much bigger than ADFs. I've seen some at my lfs that are 5 inchs long. They'll probably eat anything too.

African Dwarf frogs are really fun. I had two in my first tank. I will say though that they live for quite a long time (one of mine for a little over 5 years!). As someone said they are really fun to watch. Also with food you have to vary their diet to keep them healthy.

ADF's are the great!! Make sure your subtrate is not sharp or have any jagged edges. They dart up very quickly for air and shoot right back down just as quickly.

ADF's get along with all fish including bottom dwellers, but you do need to make sure they get enough food. They don't see very well and rely upon their sense of smell.

And be sure to that you don't get the clawed frogs, becuase they do get very big and will eat fish.

Good luck on your Frog search. :D

thx ! :)

Still trying to find a UK supplyer, if anyone wants to help the search post :D!!!!

Thx to everyone for helping so far!!

I found my ADFs nipped at some of my other fish. They really didn't get on well with the loach that I had. I don't know if that is common though. Also when any of my fish died, the immediately started eating it 8O It was a bit gory.

sounds intresting, even cleans for me :) no matter wat im going to get an ADF or 2. Thx for the info though :)

African Clawed frogs also eat human fingers. And anything they can get in their mouths. I have 4 of em, they are extremely long lived, sometimes more then 20 years. They are very tolerant of most anything, I have mine in a 20 gallon tank. I feed mine all reptomin, now they get a special treat from my friend, convict fry. I can usually get 50-100 at a pop. Its my special treat to them :)

Kornchild

Back
Top Bottom