front loading sand by goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mine.Mine.

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys -

my goby has been busy burrowing, and the dust has finally been filtered out from where all he was digging; but i've noticed that he has moved a good deal of sand to the front of the tank and the back is getting a bit bare. i moved some sand around and also moved my rocks to prevent any rock falls, but am curious how yall deal with it? and the sand i moved was stuff he has sifted and keeps turning around, so it wasn't the deep layer of sand that was messed with.

any suggestions?

That's normal for him starting out.He will settle in shortly and and your sand bed will level out some again.

My new diamond goby is doing the same exact thing, I 've had him for 2 days and hes stacking up sand in the front of the aquarium.

I have a diamond goby, he didn't look pleased with me at all. At all. But he got to re-digging anyhow shortly after, so he is showing me who is really the boss of the tank.

I have to laugh at the mental image of that poor goby giving you the evil eye for daring to re-arrange his decorating :)

Anyone know why my goby keeps opening its mouth wide as if hes yawning and while he does it his body lifts up??

Mine does the mouth opening thing when he's po'd. Like when my blenny gets too close to him trying to get food. lol

Thought so, i was making sure it wasnt because he having a hard time breathing. My six line keeps roaming by him and staring at him when he does it. The wrasse goes away then comes back close to the goby and swims slow or stops.

LOL. That went on with my goby and blenny for about a week or so. It only happens ocassionally now. It's really funny to watch though, goby acts like he's all tough and then nothing.

Lol i saw the six line playin with him and the goby gettin super p.o and im watchin like.. Dont fight.. Dont fight and while the goby is goin crazy opening his mouth the six line acts like nothin happened. But just to make sure the goby wasnt struggling i asked about it here, cause the six line wasnt too phased.

I guess it's a defensive thing. My transparent cave goby does the same, usually when the hawkfish is eying him lol.

I cant comment on the goby but my damsel seems to love spraying sand everywhere... Weird fish he goes down in the sand and creates a storm. Then likes to hang out in his newly created hollow of cave.

Nyghtfire said:
I cant comment on the goby but my damsel seems to love spraying sand everywhere... Weird fish he goes down in the sand and creates a storm. Then likes to hang out in his newly created hollow of cave.

What he is doing is stirring up food from the sand.Clowns do that alot to.Watch closely and you will see him eat after he has stirred up the sand.

Ricksreef said:
What he is doing is stirring up food from the sand.Clowns do that alot to.Watch closely and you will see him eat after he has stirred up the sand.

Not sure not in the dt right now.
I've had no problems with my little yellow damsel and aggression until today when I added a regal tang and a bengai cardinal. Little bugger tried beating both up. He's living in my quarantine now and is being given to a friend which Just loves damsels :)
On a side note still no issues with domino damsel.

Anyways sorry to hijack thread

Nyghtfire said:
Not sure not in the dt right now.
I've had no problems with my little yellow damsel and aggression until today when I added a regal tang and a bengai cardinal. Little bugger tried beating both up. He's living in my quarantine now and is being given to a friend which Just loves damsels :)
On a side note still no issues with domino damsel.

Anyways sorry to hijack thread

Damsels are all aggressive eventually,my local LFS sells them for $2.00 each since he takes them back from people because of the problems they become.

Speaking of gobies will i be able to reaquascape with a diamond goby in the tank? Im scared lil man might jump out and introduce himself to carpet as soon as he sees a opening due to him being scared.

I would do the rockwork while youre doing a water change so the water level is down abit, maybe he won't have enough ooommff to get out then. lol

Back
Top Bottom