Frozen BBS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmiA

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have frozen BBS from Hakari that come in individual servings. Even with three tanks, I find that I never finish the single serve packets entirely in one feeding. My question is would the Frozen BBS be okay in room temp to serve throughout the day? Or will I have to re freeze the little packet in order to prevent it from going bad?

Thanks!

Can't be many fish if they aren't finishing just one of those little blocks. The trouble with BBS is they lose their nutrition quite fast, one reason frozen is easier if you aren't up to hatching them every day or second day.

I would not leave any of it out at room temperature for very long at all.

But, instead, you can chop those blocks into smaller pieces. it's a bit messy, but if you only give them what they'll clean up in one feeding, the remainder will stay safely frozen, even if it is a bit smashed up. Put the whole pack in a zip bag and press out all the air, if you use only a partial block, to prevent it becoming damaged by air.. aka freezer burned.

I agree. In my experience the frozen food gets pretty gross if left out at room temp. I also cut the blocks and only feed half for each feeding.

I cut mine up as well. Even when I split it up between the 2 tanks it's still just wait to much. I can get 2 feeding for both tanks in 1 cube.

I go with the pouches that aren't divided so it's easier to break off a chunk and only thaw what is needed. In the mean time try using a large serrated knife to break up the frozen cubes.

Great input! Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom